1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Poem/Novel for KS3

Discussion in 'English' started by Tam0904, May 4, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,
    My name is Tammy and I'm at the end of an English degree, and I am hoping to secure a place at Keele University to do a Secondary English PGCE. I have an interview next week, for which I have to prepare a 2 minute presentation on a novel or poem that I would like to teach at KS3. I've read around a bit and I am considering William Blake - the songs of innocence/experience, as I felt it would cover Literature - it's canonical and classical - and also Language, where it would be possible to examine the different treatment of the same subject through a different use of language.
    If I could get your thoughts on this I would be very grateful. I want something that will reallly impress them, I really want a place at Keele!
    Thank you, in advance :)

Tammy

2. Hi everyone,
    My name is Tammy and I'm at the end of an English degree, and I am hoping to secure a place at Keele University to do a Secondary English PGCE. I have an interview next week, for which I have to prepare a 2 minute presentation on a novel or poem that I would like to teach at KS3. I've read around a bit and I am considering William Blake - the songs of innocence/experience, as I felt it would cover Literature - it's canonical and classical - and also Language, where it would be possible to examine the different treatment of the same subject through a different use of language.
    If I could get your thoughts on this I would be very grateful. I want something that will reallly impress them, I really want a place at Keele!
    Thank you, in advance :)

Tammy

3. Hi Tammy
    Firstly good luck in your interview.
    I would think about your target audience. Whilst your ideas sound impressive and would suit an a level class or a high ability key stage 4 i'm not sure about key stage 3.
    If you are going to go down the poetry route, have a look at what is usually covered in the KS3 curriculum and find something original but along the same lines. Simon Armitage, Carol Ann Duffy, Benjamin Zephaniah etc.
    Think also about diversity and safeguarding in the texts you choose.

Charlie