1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Poaching Staff

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by bigfatgit, Jan 21, 2011.

1. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

Unprofessional or a Jamie Olver recipe?
    Discuss

2. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

Unprofessional or a Jamie Olver recipe?
    Discuss

3. How much would you take BFG, or does that sound half cooked?

4. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

Not quite the raw deal it sounds [​IMG]

5. Perhaps it depends on who asks whom to dance.
    Surely the poor teacher, who having uprooted him/herself and moved halfway around the world to find that they are in a poor establishment but enjoying the locale deserves the right to vote with their feet and find more agreeable employment?
    If a school is finding that it is losing a lot of its teaching staff to neighbouring international schools, then it is doing something wrong.
    I worked in a mediocre school once that had an agreement with a better school not to employ each others' teachers at contract end - a fact made known to new staff on arrival. I strongly suspect that this agreement was only bneficial to one party.

Now a school that headhunts from its neighbours. That is a whole new debate.

6. Loyalty to the students and staff plays an important role in retaining teachers. Perhaps following a professional code of ethics might also present a stronger motive to commit to a school. However, better offers might come with higher expectations and pressures to match!

7. Illegal to put in a contract which a school in Cairo did under the 'White' regime did.
    Another 'school' came into our school asking for their teacher back after he had finished his contract and started up wth us.
    I think we told them to **** off...

8. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

Probably less serious is the way our main (sporting) rival here not only tries to poach staff but also tries to (and sometimes succeeds in) poaching good sporting kids.
    It's starts by small jokey comments at fixtures from their Head of PE to our more able athletes: "hey Steven (child) how do you fancy coming and playing for our team, we'll give you a nice blue kit to wear - looks nicer than the red one you've got"
    or sometimes they are bribed with guaranteed places at their secondary school (we are primary). This is dishonest as 9 times out of ten they would get a place at their secondary school anyway.
    At swim meets, their previous swim coach used to ask our swimmers if they swam for outside clubs, and if not, they would go to the childs parent, mid-fixture and ask them to join their swim club (which just happened to be based at their school!), the next step being that the child would be asked to apply to the school.
    It's all done with a sham sense of humour towards the kids on their part.
    We have lost about 4 sporting kids there in the last 2 years.
    I tell you, it's worse than the Premier League!
    Also a member of my department who left last year to go look after her new baby, citing the reason she wanted to do this was to give her child full time care, is now coaching at said school. She had been approached whilst on maternity leave from our school earlier in the year.
    Very frustrating and irritating to say the least.

9. Perhaps I should clarify. I called the school mediocre because it was held to be reasonable by the population it served, local middle-class Middle Eastern families. However by most Westerners' lights, it would be classed as poor.

10. Alphaalpha

Alphaalpha New commenter

Poaching is out as with BSME rules, but genuine cases of teachers wishing to move for credible reason present no problems.

11. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

I was thinking more along the lines of a member of staff at one school phoning a member of staff at another school (out of the blue) and offering a job. A bit naughty I think

12. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

Perhaps a little unsubtle and direct too.

13. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

I suppose I should stop doing it then! (Only joking!!) [​IMG]

14. Not in a position to offer jobs, but informing people that jobs are coming up at 'your place' isn't wrong and isn't far off poaching.
    I've already told a few folk about the vacancies possibly coming up at our place.
    Like now for instance - 'Clovis, we have vacancies, but don't apply'.
    That sort of thing. [​IMG]

15. I moved from one school to another start up school, obsentibly to provide a little 'local knowledge'. The schools in the city has a basic unspoken rule that a little movement was acceptable but certainly not wholesale poaching. However our beloved recruiter and director would not listen to my entreaties and decide to plunder other international schools in the city, even getting one teacher to break contract at Christmas and move across. That all got the school in the deep deep you-know-what. Other schools refused to play sport against us for awhile, etc. etc. What made it worse was that the guilty parties blamed it on the departing headmaster who was firmly against the idea!

16. Our Principal told me that he didn't want unhappy staff at his place, hence his very understanding approach towards teachers who want to leave before a contract is finished. Why would a school want to keep someone who was set on leaving for a better/better paying school and unhappy in their present post?