1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

pneumonia

Discussion in 'Primary' started by teacher2b?, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Had a severe chest infection which diagn as pneumonia of left lung. All the silly coughing gross phlem has died down but just left exhausted feel a lot better than I did. Feel bad as had a wk off but have been able to do very little- eg shower is an achievement.Look physically a lot better but sleeping like a baby and low energy. Got docs appt this wk but as an NQT feel terrible about having time off...

Anyone been in same sit/ had same illness?

Thanks

2. Had a severe chest infection which diagn as pneumonia of left lung. All the silly coughing gross phlem has died down but just left exhausted feel a lot better than I did. Feel bad as had a wk off but have been able to do very little- eg shower is an achievement.Look physically a lot better but sleeping like a baby and low energy. Got docs appt this wk but as an NQT feel terrible about having time off...

Anyone been in same sit/ had same illness?

Thanks

3. Poor you!! You need to make sure you are fully recovered before going back to school...you could make it worse if you don't and then have to have longer off. You shouldn't feel bad about being ill, it's not your fault. And you shouldn't feel worse about it just as your an NQT, you still get ill when experienced! Are your school supportive? Get well soon x

4. My own GP once had pneumonia for several weeks before being diagnosed by a colleague. Completely knocked her for six! Don't whatever you do go back to work until completely rested. It is a dreadful illness and quite severe.

5. J3n

J3n

Hi

My other half had pneumonia about 7 years ago, and still suffers now after all that time. He managed to contract it as he ignored his chest infection and carried on as normal for so long.

This is his personal quote;
    " Under no circumstances must you go back to work untill you are fully fit, and i mean FULLY FIT. Pneumonia is an immune system killer, if you don't get rid of it properly, you'll catch everything possible going from the kids at school, or your collegues, ranging from the slightest cold, to the worst flu. I ended up with a collapsed lung and wish it on no-one. Get well soon"
    He recounts to me a plenty when i'm trying to drag myself into work with every bug going (I'm an NQT too, and understand what you're feeling).

Hope you get well soon hun :0) good luck at the doctors, and remember; your main concern when you're unwell is you getting better, you won't be any less thought of for being off, or any more thought of for dragging yourself into work! Trust me. ;0)

xx

6. alf

alf

I had it last Dec and then again in Feb. I was in hospital the first time and recognised the cough starting in Feb. Luckily I got antibiotics quickly the second time. The doc told me that you should never think you are completly over it for six months and treat all new symptoms quickly.

I was off work for 2 weeks in Dec and then in Feb it was half term. You need to be extremely careful as your health is the most precious thing you have. Don't worry, get better before you go back. x

7. What are symptoms one of my kids has not been well for a while and as a busy mum not taken him to DR and youve now got me worried

8. What are the symptoms bluerose? A lot of bugs going around, surely you must have tons off in school.

9. alf

alf

The most obvious was the cough that started when lying down. Would have to sit up very quickly and cough and cough and cough. Quite frightening as found it difficult to get breaths inbetween coughing/ choking. Much better if could sleep sitting up but found that very difficult. Sleep was continually broken. Complete fatigue too and lost a stone in a matter of weeks as had no appetite.
    Didn't know I had pneumonia but son got run over and we all went to hospital, a doctor there noticed my poor condition and examined me, me and son were then both admitted!

10. thehawk

thehawk Occasional commenter

I had pneumonia in February, which I thought was just a bad cough and then it got worse. It completely knocked me out for days. What then happened (as I can't take anti-biotics) was got some anti-pneumonia tablets which made me go completely deaf for five days, which was really scary, as on the instructions it said "NORMALLY hearing will return when you stop taking the tablets." Wasn't properly right and fit again for about three weeks after I was "cured" - felt really drained for ages.

11. A week off work isn't enough, but I understand how you can feel bad about being off work.
    I caught swine flu in November 09 (after being severely run-down,) and ended up in hospital getting worse and worse. The doctors noticed my breathing and did a chest x-ray on me, which proved to be pneumonia. After being on oxygen, and a drip with fluids (which are extremely important to recover, despite having enough fluid in your lungs!!) and pain killers, I took a course of two different anti-biotics (one of which I had a reaction to,) and lost a stone within a week of going into hospital, with no appetite and other symptoms which I won't go into detail about!!!
    I am about to return back to work on Monday, after over 2 months off from teaching. I feel bad about having time off, but at the same time, being ill has taught me a very valuable lesson. There is nothing more important than your health! I feel just about well enough to go back to work on Monday, but I am still SO tired all of the time and am really worried about how I will cope with the workload and getting enough rest. My advice to anyone who thinks that they might have pneumonia: go to the doctors STRAIGHT away. The longer you leave it, the worse you will get.
    My advice to all teachers: look after yourself! Teaching is hectic, and you can easily get run down. The doctors told me that I was lucky to survive the pneumonia (I never realised how bad pneumonia can be,) and that if I hadn't gone into hospital when I did, I might not have made it. We love our jobs, but it's not worth getting run down for - your life could literally be at risk. Another thing about pneumonia is, that your immune system has had to battle extremely hard to fight it, so your immunity to other illnesses is very low. Returning too soon can make you even worse than you were before if you don't look after yourself or catch another illness, and then you'll be no help to anyone.
    If anyone is reading this who has pneumonia similar to the one I had: it WILL get better. Just look after yourself. You feel totally low and useless and you can't go anywhere without getting out of breath or tired, but just take it easy and try to do things other than watching day time TV (it drove me mad after not even a day!) Read a book, drink water, do some sudoku, drink more water, and get plenty of sleep. All in all: look after yourself!

12. Hi MissRoskell,
    i was very interested to read your post. I was admitted to hospital on 23rd Dec 2010 with what I thought was a problem with a hernia I have. Anyway it turned out not to be the case but infact i had pneumonia!! Complete shock! About 7:15am on Christmas Eve the hospital rang my husband to tell him to get to hospital quick as I had had (apparantly, as I can't remember) a bad night and needed to be moved to a Critical Care Unit. I was there for 4 days on oxygen and drips with fluid and antibiotics and in the end I needed to be put on a CPAP mask and oxygen levels in blood were so low!! I eventually got better and was moved to a ward and then discharged after about a week and a half in hospital. The official discharge letter states 'pneumonia and Type 1 respiratory failure'.
    I have had 4 weeks off work and went back this week (week beginning 31.1.11) on a phased return. However i now feel that i may have gone back too early as i am completely exhausted and feel like i could cry at the least bit thing. i have no energy and feel really low - have gor a docs appointment this afternoon so see how i get on.
    Please anyone reading this with similar experiences - do not feel like you HAVE to go back to work - you go back when 'YOU are ready.
    toonarmy9