1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

pneumonia/pleurisy

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by NellyFUF, Apr 2, 2012.

1. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Does anyone have experience of these and of the process of recovery? Tips would be gratefully received.

2. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Does anyone have experience of these and of the process of recovery? Tips would be gratefully received.

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

About a month, but I was in my thirties then ...

4. I had pneumonia quite severely - spent a week in hospital. It took months and months to really feel strong again. Give yourself time to get well and don't get discouraged. REST and eat well.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Nelly, what does your doctor say? Have you had a recent check up? If you don't feel well enough to go to your GP's surgery then ask for a home visit. You sound as if you are anxious and need reassurance. I do hope you feel better soon. But please don't struggle on your own.

6. Four courses of antibiotics, three weeks off work, the about another month to feel completely better. With hindsight, I should have had more time off as I was only diagnosed with pneumonia (the nasty streptococcus pnemoniae) when back at work. Then I developed costochondritis which added to my misery!

7. I know exactly when Elvis died because I had pleurisy..or rather mention of Elvis'death brings back that very clear memory.. I heard the news of his death on the radio as I lay in bed, in an empty flat, in absolute agony...feeling very, very ill. 1977. I thought my number was up I felt that bad. Breathing hurt...and I felt totally weak. The doctor came out to see me at midnight when one of my flatmates returned and was very concerned about the state I was in.
    It lasted for about a three weeks..or the best part of a month. The doctor came out to see me again, and in total I had three courses of antibiotics. I felt drained and weak when I was finally free of pain and able to breathe easily again.
    If you are self-diagnosing, don't! The pain of it gets worse....and takes ages to go. Have a doctor check out any chesty complaints.

8. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

OK I already got to stay 3 weeks in hospital.
    My real GP retired before Christmas so I have a new GP and when I popped in to introduce myself and ask for a sick note - I was told that I could not be cared for in the community in my condition and sent back to the hospital, where I had tests and an Xray and then was sent home. The hospital told me not to go to my GPs but to go to A and E if I have any problems. But what kind of problems? I don't think they would be pleased if I turned up and said I had had a bad night and got neck ache and was feeling anxious.
    This is why I am feeling a tad anxious. Family member with medic training says I go to A and E if my pulse is over 120 (or was it 130) and I have a temperature over 38. But that is not the sort of thing you know offhand about yourself.
    I thought if I did lots and was active that I would get well quickly and it has come as a shock to realise this illness does not work like this.
    Thanks for the replies. It does help to know that others have survived and that I can't expect to just shrug it off like a cold.
    I need to try and be a bit more positive I think.

9. 4 weeks off with pneumonia when I was in my 20s. I was pretty weak for several weeks afterwards and should probably have had more time off. My experience sounds like that of Arched Eyebrow, thinking I was on the way out with difficulty breathing and a pain in my back (= from lung infected). Initial antibiotics didn't help at all and 2nd doc. wondered why I'd been prescribed them. Take your time, give in and rest.

10. I am sorry you have been so poorly Nelly - but it seems we all appreciated (finally) that chest problems of a serious nature do take their toll. Wise after the event eh?
    It seems strange that your GP won't do a check up post hospitalisation. Perhaps there is concern that you were sent home without being 100% fit and that's why you are expected to go to A&E if you still feel poorly? Hospitals do tend to send people home early given empty beds seem more valuable than complete recovery.
    Like you, I'd feel a pillock if I went to A&E without good reason....if it's not an accident or an emergency you shouldn't be there really. However, if you did go, you'd only be following medical advice....so with that in mind, do contact someone if you still feel unwell. It does take a while to be fully over it....but don't allow yourself to become poorly again. Go and see someone if you know you aren't right...even reassurance that all is as it should be is worth having after being laid so low.