1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PND - or am I going mad?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by geologyrocks, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Hi,
    Is it possible for post natal depression to start 7 months after the birth? How does it feel?
    I can't stop crying, I also can't stop feeling guilty about going back to work. My mother died of a brain haemorrhage 15 years ago and I have started missing her more than ever now. I can't really explain how I feel, I feel really quiet most of the time (this is not like me).
    I really don't understand what is going on now. I feel silly for feeling like this but I can't control it.
    Has anyone had these feelings? What did you do?
    Thanks
    GEO

2. Firstly (((hugs))).
    Yes, it is entirely possible for PND to develop now and I think it would be a great idea for you to either have a word with your health visitor or GP and get things off your chest. They'll do the rest, I'm sure.
    Be kind to yourself x

3. Thank you for replying. I think the GP is the way forward, I haven't seen my HV since my LO was three weeks old.

4. Yes, in fact, PND tends to start at least 4 months after birth. I think it sounds either like PND or delayed grieving or a recurrence of it, if you know what I mean. I second GP - my HV is **** and gave me a PND questionnaire and just said to go to GP anyway - cut out the middleman! They'll ask things like have you found yourself crying for no reason, enjoying things less etc and wil probably suggest pills - I would strongly suggest you don't dismiss them out of hand, as I strongly think that PDN is often caused by a chemical imbalance, rather than being able to 'talk it out' as it were. Hope you feel better soon - I may be making a trip to the docs for my 'happy pills' soon, too! I had depression before, took pills for 6 months and felt much better within three weeks.

5. Yes it is perfectly possible for PND to start 7 months after the birth. Please make sure you visit the GP and if it doesn't get better go back again and again! I can not stress how important it is not to ignore how you feel and get some support

Really hope you feel better really soon, don't feel you're going mad/abnormal/you should feel guilty. Many people feel as you do but you do need some support to get you to the other side.
    Good luck and take care.

6. Thank you for your advice. I am going to see the doc, not sure how to tell him what's wrong but I am sure he will work it out.

7. You could print off/copy out your original post and show GP that if you find it difficult to express yourself to them verbally :) Best of luck

8. Just wanted to say I hope you get some help. Hope you have some other support around you.
    Best wishes
    xxxx

9. Good luck xx I was diagnosed at 6 weeks, and was still having to have my meds increased at 8 months. PND is classified as PND up to a year after giving birth. Hopefully your GP will help you and also offer you some grief and counselling loss too x

10. Thank you for your support. I saw the doctor today, it is postnatal depression. He has told me to take the meds and see him every two weeks. He also explain how it is a chemical imbalance and is easily fix in most cases.
    I actually feel a bit better for starting the ball rolling.
    Thanks again
    Geo

11. I just wanted to bring this back and say a BIG thank you to all of you. I feel so much better now, I actually think I have been suffering since the birth of my first.
    After about two weeks a fog lifted from my head, I know feel like I did before I had children.
    Thank you!
    GEO

12. Glad you're feeling better.
    Hope this encourages other posters to go to the docs too.

13. Really happy to see this thread as I think I may have a touch of PND after 5 months. I keep putting it off as tiredness due to lack of sleep, but may go to docs and see what the story is for me. I have had depression before, and this doesn't feel the same, but I find myself in tears almost every weekend. Perhaps it's because my OH does next to nothing to help and I feel this most on weekends? [​IMG]
    Glad you're feeling better Geo... depression is like a giant well that you can't see how to get out of sometimes. Hope everyone else is feeling okay too. x

14. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Sometimes you can get it up to a year after birth, but often these feellings can be helped by getting more sleep/exercise/getting out a bit, I hope this doesn't sound ocer simple, but I do know how you feel and things this simple helped me. If they don't, I would see your doc.
    PND is not a weakness. It's an illness that can be helped. Please don't ever feel you're bein weak or pathetic.

15. nawoods

nawoods New commenter

How do you know if it is PND or just tiredness? My son is now 4 months and has become very difficult. I feel myself worrying about him all the time and feel like I am not being a good enough parent. There are many days when I am in tears.

16. There is an edinburgh scale thingy that if you google you can find. Otherwise get hv out to talk to them or go to GP. I've read the other thread and the feeding thing is just so stressful. My 3 year old didnt feed well as a baby and I found it so stressful (even though she did stick to 25th centile so I was v lucky there). It was awful though because everytime I fed her out I felt people were looking at me and I felt so useless. (Although she stuck to the line she looked very skinny as was 75th for length). I had pnd, blamed myself for not sticking to breastfeeding, just horrible. Its also hard to find people you trust enough to talk to. Hugs, its so hard - I found around 4 months probanly almost tge hardest with both, its meant to be settling but it just hasnt.

17. nawoods

nawoods New commenter

Thanks for your reply x

18. No worries.... Just one thing my daughter seemed to take more SMA than C&G (although it could of course be coincidence it tastes sweeter). Have you tried different formula milk? It might not help but there is no reason why you cant change them.