1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

pnd and being at work

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by young teacher, Jun 20, 2011.

1. i have been diagnosed with mild pnd.only diagnosed just before the end of my maternity leave as it took me so long to realise and admit it. i am back at work and have been having counselling, not yet taken the meds as dont want it to affect my teaching. am really struggling being back at work, when something upsets me or there is the usual staff politics going on, i get really stressed out by it. when i teach a class that is particularly difficult it also really stresses me out.i have spent the past few weeks every day trying not to cry at work. just wondered if anyone else was going through pnd and is back at work?
    havent told anyone at work, dont trust anyone enough, have only told my husband, even my parents dont know.
    x

2. i have been diagnosed with mild pnd.only diagnosed just before the end of my maternity leave as it took me so long to realise and admit it. i am back at work and have been having counselling, not yet taken the meds as dont want it to affect my teaching. am really struggling being back at work, when something upsets me or there is the usual staff politics going on, i get really stressed out by it. when i teach a class that is particularly difficult it also really stresses me out.i have spent the past few weeks every day trying not to cry at work. just wondered if anyone else was going through pnd and is back at work?
    havent told anyone at work, dont trust anyone enough, have only told my husband, even my parents dont know.
    x

3. i have it - was diagnosed before i was back at work. i've retreated into myself, i don't tend to eat in the staff room (good really as i mark books/plan in my lunch hour so less to do at home) and i tend to ignore the things that really upset me. i have cried a few times at work but just wipe my eyes, leave the loo and carry on.
    you can get signed off if it's too much for you x

4. Why do you think the medication will affect your teaching? I took antidepressants, and would say it took me about a week to get over the most common side effects (headache, tiredness). I would have taken this week off sick if I wasn't already signed off.
    I did go back to school and found it helped me get back on track and feel better.
    However, I was exceptionally open about it and told everyone - I think it is quite important to try and combat the stigma attached to mental illness.
    I would suggest taking the medication - a lot of PND is solely caused by hormonal/brain chemistry imbalance and is rectified quite quickly with pills. If you were diabetic, you would take insulin, wouldn't you? I view clinical depression (including PND) in the same way. many will disagree with me, but certainly I found the medication helped me recover and I managed to come off it with no side effects/withdrawal effects. Hope you feel better soon.

5. thanks for the replies.
    i dont want to get signed off as i dont want to draw attention to it, staffroom gossip is the last thing i want to be!
    i am wary of the meds as i originally took one a while back and felt so off the planet, it was a hideous experience. my counsellor thinks it was because the dose was too high, so i may cinsider going back to the docs and requesting a lower dose. i agree, that if i had a headache i would take a pill, but for some reason i have been put off by the side effects, thats why i may wait till the summer hols and then i can be at home and feel **** for the first few days.
    i have been doing really well with the counselling alone, i can see i have progressed well, but still feel i have a long way to go. just hate being at work and having to dewal with all the politics and pettiness and unfairness at work.plua feel since coming back after mat leave the dynamics have all changed and my friends arent the same anymore. prob just me being paranoid and insecure
    thanks for the replies
    x