1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PMLD Sensory stories

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by PatThomson, Sep 25, 2018.

1. PatThomson

PatThomson New commenter

I’m doing my dissertation on best practice for sensory stories with PMLD learners. It’s work based research so I want to write about real teachers in the real world. I was wondering whether teachers present sensory stories as a whole class session, a 1:1 activityor both.

2. Jo3Grace

Jo3Grace New commenter

Hi Pat,
    I hope you get lots of people get in touch to help you out with your research. I for one would very much like to read your dissertation!

You mentioned two options, another super way of sharing sensory stories in a class of students with PMLD is to run the session as a carousel, for example a teacher might divide the class into three groups (classes for students with PMLD tend to have smaller numbers so this would equate to three groups of three or four students per group).

The teacher shares the sensory story with one group, whilst another adult shares a related exploration activity with the second group, meanwhile the third group do a related independent activity under the supervision of another adult - even for students with the most profound disabilities it is possible to find something for them to do on their own and empowering to do so.
    Over the course of the lessons the groups would rotate around, like a carousel, so that everyone gets to do everything.

Best wishes
    Jo Grace
    www.TheSensoryProjects.co.uk

PS Great question for the week that had National Multi Sensory Story Telling Day at its start!

dzil likes this.
  3. rosiecg

rosiecg Occasional commenter

Hello!

Current SENCO in a mainstream international school - I use sensory stories 1:1 with students and also model to their parents for their own use at home. In my previous job as Early Years Teacher in a special school, we did whole class (8 students) sensory stories, with students supported by teaching assistants on either 1:1 or 1:2 basis.

Jo Grace is THE leading lady on the topic of sensory stories and has several books you should definitely include in your dissy. How fab that she's already responded to your post!

Good luck with your work!

dzil likes this.
  4. Patontheback

Patontheback New commenter

5. Patontheback

Thank you Jo. That organisation would be perfect as I am working with 6 children and 3 TAs. I will definitely do this. Can I reference this post when I eventually come to do the writing please?
    I have signed up for your seminar at the TES SEN show in October as I am looking inspiration at the start of my project!!

6. Patontheback

Thanks for your helpful post Rosiecg. Yes I consider myself very lucky to have help from Jo Grace. I will certainly be using her books and articles.

rosiecg and dzil like this.