1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PMLD planning

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Sylviee, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Hi,
    Does anyone else find it hard to plan suitable activites that will engage everyone in a group of learners with PMLD which can be led by one person. Two of the children in our class need personal care everyday in the afternoon, in addition there are pump feeds and flushes to sort out which tends to take out my TAs for at least half an hour in the afternoon. This is not so much of a problem if I am doing certain activities such as ICT or a sensory story around the whiteboard. However, for practical based activities which need one to one support this is not so good. Also, we are expecting an impending visit from Ofsted which makes me especially aware of the need for every child to be actively engaged. Has anyone else found this to be tricky?
    Thanks,
    Sylviee

2. RamC

RamC New commenter

Hi, I'm a teacher in a class of 7 students with PMLD and the problem of fragmented lesson time around personal care is something I've struggled with. I now plan individual activities with the emphasis on the pupil being engaged independently of adult intervention. At least four of my class find "alone" time difficult and at one will have a big tantrum if left alone too long. Because of this it's really important to plan for periods where independent work can be tried. Some examples for my own class are: one pupil will be positioned on a wedge with a turning mirror in front of him, encouraging him to lift his head and reach to touch. Another will be accessing a sensory story box that encourages a range of different textures to feel and touch. Two of my pupils can access the interactive white board on a one touch response programme like Big Bang, and one might be positioned to watch a bubble tube, light display or passive pattern programme on the computer. I usually move around the room, and ensure that the sessions are planned in conjunction with a key skills target so I can undertake observations and assessment of each pupil during the time. I've actually got a timetable so each pupil has 5 activities linked to skills that they rotate round each week for the whole term. Obviously I change them if they get bored or seem unresponsive! I can sometimes manage some 1:1 work in this time or some intensive interaction. I plan for my active learning to be about 50% of the lesson time, with the rest positioning/ personal care etc. I hope that helps!!

3. Thanks RamC, that is really helpful! I have written a plan for individual activities such as those you mention which address IEP/Routes for learning targets for the half hour before lunch when personal care takes place, which sounds similar to what you have above. I haven't introduced it formally yet so hopefully once everyone has become familiar with that, it will work! I have called that half hour 'personalised learning' time. I will have to write something similar into my afternoon plans for the last half hour of the day I think. Really appreciate your suggestions!

4. Was just wondering, what have Ofsted made of that? I have been told they will want to see all pupils actively engaged at the same time, for the whole lesson! It seems quite unrealistic to me due to the nature of the learners. As a class team we have dceided not to stand our pupils on the days when Oftsed are in. Am quite worried about this aspect of things.

5. Jo3Grace

Jo3Grace New commenter

Sensory stories can be great, very inclusive, easy to differentiate and can be done by one organised person :) There are free and for sale ones at http://jo.element42.org

6. Hi, just wanted to add, please dont worry too much what ofsted will think! look at your day in terms of what each child will get out of it, ofsted will always come second to the needs of the children. In other words ofsted should see what goes in to providing a holistic, broad, balanced and exciting curriculum, and for my class that definitely includes a large amount of time positioning, standers, medical needs, personal care etc. you are right, sylviee, it is totally unrealistic to expect all pupils to be actively engaged every second of the day, it sounds bloody exhausting! Yes, the time should be managed so the children get what they need out of the day, but I just think what would the day look like from their point of view? Does that make sense? :0)