1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PMLD - encouraging peer interaction

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Sylviee, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Hello again,
    Sorry I am always on here asking for advice but I really do value the feedback and suggestions I have got from people in the past.
    I am working on peer recognition in PSHE with my class with PMLD. So far, I have thought of singing name games ('Where is (name child)' covered with a chiffon, encourage them to pull it off, etc...), having the children play in pairs with a slinky or have amusical conversation, taking turns to play a musical instrument.
    Has anyone got any good ideas for encouraging peer recognition/interaction, please?
    Thanks,
    Sylviee

2. paulmarkj

paulmarkj New commenter

The first thing that springs to mind is using photos: matching photos to people or photos to photos. Using mirrors as well so pupils can recognise themselves.

3. Thanks for those suggestions Paulmarkj!

4. How about recording their voices/making noises etc and playing back.

5. Hi,
    I made a simple class game using PowerPoint for my class. On the first slide I uploaded a photograph of one of the students in the class.Below the photograph i printed the names of two students; the name of the child in the photograph and one other. I hyperlinked the correct name to the next slide containing another photograph and two new names. The incorrect name was hyperlinked to a slide containing an animation of a little duck shaking its head and instructions in a speech bubble to "Try again." I continued adding slides and photographs until I had uploaded photographs of every child in the class. The little duck animation came from the site "Animation Factory.'" The duck was hyperlinked back to the slide where then incorrect answer was given for the child to try again.
    Playing the game my students ver quickly learn the names of all class members and also to read their names in print. If they selected a correct name a new photograph popped up and incorrect answer took them to the slide informing them to try again.

6. That is a great idea - can I ask if you have to be a member to use Animation Factory?
    Thank you

7. Jo3Grace

Jo3Grace New commenter

My sensory story about a walk in the woods involves pupils identifying peers. http://jo.element42.org

(there's also lots of free resources you can access via that site)

8. Jo3Grace

Jo3Grace New commenter

I came back to the thread because I remembered a thesis I read recently. It was a study looking at the social interactivity of students with PMLD when in their own classroom and when visiting a mainstream classroom.

Without recounting the whole thing, the findings were that students became more interactive in the mainstream classroom.

I know this thing is tricky to arrange. We used to have a link with a friendly mainstream school and we did a pupil exchange. On Wednesdays one of our pupils would go their with an assistant and on Tuesday two of their pupils came to us with a teaching assistant. It was great for all concerned.