1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PMLD curriculum / IEPs

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Sylviee, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Hi,
    We currently use PIVATS and five subject headings to set our IEP targets but I am becoming increasingly worried that this is limiting the way we approach progress with our learners. Several of my learners have almost achieved all of P4 targets in some subject areas but there is no waythey would be able to access any at P5.
    We are also using Routes for Learning which is very good. I would like to make a case for not using PIVATS to measure the progress of learners with PMLD. But what is the alternative? I know from a Flo Longhorn course I went on (The Sensory Curriculum) that St Margaret's school do an excllent PMLD curriculum. Think it is £280. I am hoping to convince my head teacher to buy it. I would also love to know how they set their IEP targets.
    Has anybody else encountered this problem? What solutions have you found?

2. R13

R13 New commenter

In my view IEPs should be set in reation to the child's priority needs rather than subjects of the curriculum.
    Target setting in relation to curriculum areas is possible but very problematic for PMLD pupils where progress is either tiny or indeed not evident
    i would suggest in these target driven times that you will have much difficulty stopping those targets and be better off setting additional ones about breadth of experience - learning is not always about vertical progress - horizontal can be equally valuable
    The St Margarets curriculum looks pretty good from what I have seen but I have to say for such a well funded establishment it is such a shame they haven't published it on line to help PMLD children rather than seeking to make a profit in selling it.

3. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

Have you come across the amazing Prof. Penny Lacey (Univercity of Birmingham). She advocates "SCRUFFY" rather than SMART targets for students with PMLD... (student -lead, creative, relevant, unspecified fun for youngsters. ) It leads to broadening their curriculum, allowing them to develop skills and recording those things that don't necessarily fit with the tight "specific, measurable, achievable relevant time limited" box of SMART targets.

4. RamC

RamC New commenter

The Profound Curriculum is designed for PMLD pupils- if your pupils are achieving P4 they would not benefit from this as PMLD is usually P1-3, and although the Profound Curriculum does have some P4 targets the main body of the tool is designed at P1-3. We use the Profound Curriculum but we develop "key skill" targets rather than IEPs. The key skill is then the method that each subject is taught. For example, one of my pupils has a key skill target of tracking flashing objects. This means I plan for this to happen as part of the teaching process for every lesson. I find the Profound Curriculum to be interesting as a tool for assessing where the pupil is and what their next step would be, but I don't like the way they use it at the Profound School of Education, where they plan their curriculum around it only.

5. RamC

RamC New commenter

Oops forgot to say- although I have to use PIVATS as well- I do not like them or find them useful for PMLD pupils. PIVATS may have been designed to be target driven, but it is too static for PMLD pupils, particularly if the pupil has additional complex needs that prevent them from learning in a linear way, or those pupils with degenerating conditions. What it means in reality is that the true progress of the pupils is not always recorded or celebrated.

6. Thanks for all your responses. I completely agree with many of the comments made. Have made an appointment to speak to our deputy head about this next week. At the end of the day I have to work whatever assessment tools our school is using. Still, I don't want to be cynical about how I assess my pupils' progress. We have physio and routes for learning targets in addition to the PIVATS ones which are menaingful and will allow us to show progress.I also want to cover my own back as when Oftsed come I need to be able to explain why some of my pupils might not have 'progressed' in all areas. Thanks again [​IMG]

7. Have you heard of the engagement profile? I am currently trialing it in my class with two of my pupils. It looks at different aspects of engagement which you then transfer into points. You then use the pupil's score to help set appropriate targets for the coming period.
    I would only recommend it for pupils working between P-Levels 1 and 2 and at a push maybe P3i. Once pupils are achieving P4 or above I would generally class them as SLD.
    I hope this is of some help [​IMG]

8. this sounds interesting. when you use the 'points system' -can it be linked into anything existing in the current governmental systems of assessment? Also, would it be relevant as a beginning point for pupils who may be at P2(ii) + but whose medical and emotional needs mean that 'engagement' could (should) be their initial point of reference for forthcoming IEps (ILPs)?

9. I have recently attended some training on using the 'Engagement profile'. It looks good! Think we are going to start using it next academic year.It will be especially useful for my pupils who are starting to hit the end of P4 in certain subject strands and cannot go any further in terms of PIVATS. I like the focus on engagement too which is really one of the main aims for many pupils with PMLD.