1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PMLD and play

Discussion in 'US – Staffroom' started by maureenmort1, Oct 14, 2018.

1. maureenmort1

maureenmort1 New commenter

Hi there,
    I've been working with primary aged PLMD class for three years. I would like to know what you think about PMLD pupils and play. My pupils are non-ambulant, have CVI and are registered blind, have almost no voluntary limb/finger movement and enormous cognitive challenges.
    How can I engage these pupils in play?
    We have all the usual lessons: Facilitated exploration, Sensology, Movement & Learning, Sensory stories, Sensory mark making etc etc.
    Also independent sensory exploration, independent listening (stories, music, childrens' songs etc), independent switch work (lights, music, foot spa, vibrating massager etc.)
    However, I am wondering what constitutes play for my pupils?
    We are fine for fun, adult led, facilitated activities, but what about the pupil led, independent activities?
    'PLAY STRATEGY FOR SCOTLAND states that 'One of the most important aspects of supporting play is ensuring that children and young people have the time, space and freedom to initiate, plan, lead and conclude their own play.'
    Any ideas?

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter