1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PM Confidentiality

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by greta444, Jan 17, 2016.

1. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Hi all, I'm not a regular poster but follow many threads with interest. Quick question, My head indicated that our School improvement officer had commented that our (teaching staff) performance management targets were not tough enough. I am concerned that this is a breach of confidentiality by the head. Who is allowed to know what our targets are?
    Thank you.

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

You don't know that the SIO saw staff names attached to the targets.

3. greta444

greta444 New commenter

No, I don't know that but I am concerned about the confidentiality of the targets. For example, targets associated with a particular year group would easily identify the teacher. We are in a small school.

4. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I am sorry, but I am not sure what the issue is here..... A SIO has every right to critique the performance management processes of the school. How else are they going to do it without seeing the documentation? It is hardly the most sensitive of data really is it?

5. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I was under the impression that our performance management targets were confidential.

6. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

It is confidential up to a point I assume. In the respect that it is between you, your line manager ans the head. But these documents are scrutinised during inspections and what-not.

7. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

That has always been a problem - governors see targets without names, but it has always been the case that in some schools, the teacher is identifiable.

I wouldn't try to take the issue anywhere - I really wouldn't.

8. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I'd be more worried about the next round of PM where you can be damned sure you're going to be given (all of you) some impossible objectives.

The HT has clearly flagged this up for you. I wouldn't bother about confidentiality. I'd be wondering how much harder I was going to have to work to get the results to improve exponentially!

9. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Thank you for your replies, I don't intend to take this up with the head or govs. As for impossible targets, I have a new attitude towards work this year, do the important bits, stop worrying about the bits I can do nothing about. Heath improved, my partner actually said 'welcome back'! It's just a job. I still do my very best for the lovely kids in class though.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  10. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

PM targets should be confidential (and normal Data Protection law also applies) but being confidential doesn't mean they can't be disclosed to someone else ever. It depends who the head discloses it to, in what circumstances and for what purpose. Posting everyone's PM targets on the school website would breach confidentiality, discussing them with the school's SIO probably not.

wanet likes this.