1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pm benchmarking

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by princess107, Sep 6, 2018.

1. princess107

princess107 New commenter

Hi guys, just want to check something. I'm about to start assessing the children with pm benchmarking. Do I choose a book from the set which is the child's current level and they then move onto next book band if they have the have scored higher enough? Eg, if they are currently reading green books I would choose level 12 green to assess them and if successful they would then begin taking orange books home? Sorry if it seems a silly question, I've just been confusing myself!

2. gm8ty30

gm8ty30 New commenter

Hi, I tend to test them at the given level... say level 12. If they record high, then I move them to the next level. I always add notes to the online version, to perhaps satisfy my judgements.

3. AT93

AT93 New commenter

I'm fairly new to it too but I will often test them one or two levels above what they are already on and then backtrack if they are struggling. Considering they have usually improved by at least one level each time I test them, it just saves a bit of time to skip ahead a bit.
    While people are on this topic though, I was wondering how much emphasis other teachers place on the comprehension aspect of benchmarking. I have students who can read fluently but really lack in comprehension. Would I bump them up because they are able to read the more difficult vocabulary or do I keep them on the same level until their comprehension skills improve?

4. smiley_scribe

smiley_scribe New commenter

Hi, I tend to start on the book level that they are currently reading at. It is not just the running record/accuracy that you are looking for - it is the reading behaviours and the strategies that the pupil uses. If reading is above 95% with decent retelling and comprehension, I will try them higher. It's all trial and error! Just a point to note: if the reading comes out between 90 and 95% (instructional) it is probably more appropriate to send home readers that are a couple of Reading Recovery Levels below - the philosophy of our school and other Reading Recovery schools is that we don't expect parents to teach the children to read - we expect them to practise reading for fluency and enjoyment. If the books is at instructional level for a home reader, you run the risk of both parent and pupil becoming disengaged.
    In response to AT93 - I have had pupils in the past who are super at decoding but comprehension is lacking. If I move them up at all, I do it very, very slowly and the focus for all their reading sessions is about retelling (at the end of each page if necessary) until they can retell the whole story and asking simple questions as often. I liken it to reading a foreign language - you might have knowledge of how to pronounce all the words to read it fluently but if you have limited understanding of the meaning, there is little point reading more difficult texts!
    Hope that helps.