1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PM Benchmark????

Discussion in 'Primary' started by saf_nqt, Mar 25, 2008.

1. We use Pm benchmark in our school. We assess the children twice a year. We assess them using kit one the first term, and then we assess them using the second kit in the 3rd term.

It can be a bit confusing when you first have a go, but soon get the hang of it.

The one thing I would say that is important is if they can answer the questions. I work in an international school, and many of the children are taught at home to recognise words, but often do not have any understanding. For example, I have a child in my class, year 2, who is able to read level 29 perfectly, but when it comes to answering questions about what he has read, he does not actually have any understanding of what he has read. Therefore, I do not assess him as being at level 29, but the last level where he was able to answer the questions. It's all very well being able to read the words, but are they then able to use them themselves and understand what they mean?

Apart from that I think PM is a good tool, and have seen the children make progress each time we assess.

We will be starting our next round of assessments after the 2 week April break, so hopefully the progress will continue.

2. I'm in the same position as Stratford1, in an international school and assess twice a year. There are some children in my Year 2 class that can read level 30 perfectly but can not answer any of the comprehension questions or make predictions about the book which shows that they have little or no understanding of what they have just read and are not a level 30.
    Just like levelling with writing, it really gets me when children come up from Year 1 at e.g. a level 25 because "they could read it" and then you find that actually they are a level 16. Trying to explain that to them and their parents is a nightmare.
    As long as the benchmarking is done correctly and not subjectively it is a really great resource.

3. so i spent all morning asessing the children (i got about 15 children done).

Now how to i work out the scores???

and i think i read somewhere that if they are below 95% i need to assess them with a lower book??? is that correct???

4. beershop

beershop New commenter

They should be getting just 90-95% of the words correct. If it's below 90% they need an easier book and if they've read more than 95% correctly, the book is too easy and needs to be done again.

I tend to do each child at the level I reckon they're at or the level of their current book and keep doing that one child until we get them in the 90-95% correct bracket. That way you know they're done and dusted and they can take home the correct level of book that evening.

:)

5. but i've been trying to work out the percentage and i'm getting these crazy figures.

e.g. you find acuuracy by dividing the number of words read by the number of errors.

e.g. 81/40 = 2.something (have no calculator to hand!!)

but there isn't a 2 error rate as it's all 1: something

?????????????????????????????????????????/

anyone????????????????????????/

6. ok,,, I'll help but lets do it by email cuz t will be easier for me...
    email me at peeceee@btinternet.com
    give me an example of what one of your children scored in errors /how many errors?

7. Thanks peecee just e-mailed you.

8. and back to you!

9. Thanks so much peecee. I found all the percentages last night and feel really please, thanks to you!!! (big hug!!!)

10. well done to you!!! hope I helped!!!

11. were you able to put them all on a correct bookband...