1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Plymouth Primary PGCE interview

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by lcouch12, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Hi
    I dont know if anyone could help me, ive jus found out that ive got an interview for plymouth university for PGCE primary. its not until mid to late april and i wont recieve the interview pack until later on. but i would like to be prepared!
    I would like to know what the intervew process entails i.e topics, interview questions etc etc and any tips that would help me during the interview would be great!

thanks
    Lucy

2. Hi
    I dont know if anyone could help me, ive jus found out that ive got an interview for plymouth university for PGCE primary. its not until mid to late april and i wont recieve the interview pack until later on. but i would like to be prepared!
    I would like to know what the intervew process entails i.e topics, interview questions etc etc and any tips that would help me during the interview would be great!

thanks
    Lucy

3. Hey hun,

My friend is at Plymouth Uni at the mo and she said they are complete grammar and spelling freaks! Make sure you brush up on the usual there. I'm sure her interview was only half a day too not the full day like Marjon xxx

4. Hi Lucy,
    I had my PGCE Primary interview at Plymouth this year (and got a place yay!). They will send you an academic article which is on the digital age and how it effects Primary education, this is to prepare you for a group discussion. I suggest to prepare well for this as the literacy test asks you for further insight into this. The numeracy test is pretty straight forward - ordering numbers (including negative ones), addition, subtraction, multiplication, that kind of thing. The interview was done as a paired interview and I suggest you think about your strengths and weaknesses, both subject wise and skill wise. Also, think about why you want to be a teacher and why you would make a good one. If you want to know anything else don't hesitate to ask and don't worry, they will make you feel really welcome!
    The best of luck,
    Kelly

5. Hi Kelly,
    Thankyou so much for your reply it has been a great help and congratulations on your place at Plymouth, that is brilliant news. I have a few questions though if you don't mind: firstly, during the group interview did you speak up a lot (like to get noticed) or did you just put forward a few valid comments? Secondly, the literacy test; does it consist of just one question that requires a written account, or a series of questions such a nowns, verbs and types of sentences etc? Also if it was a written account, can you remember what the question was? so i could practice this!
    Sorry for all the questions, it's only because this is my second year trying and have already been let down once this year and want this so badly.
    Many Thanks
    Lucy

6. Hi Lucy,
    I definitely went for the few valid comments option as I am always quite shy in that situation anyway. There were a couple of candidates who spoke loads but they didn't really make much of an impact with what they said most of the time and ended up contradicting themselves at times. It was just one written account, no literacy knowledge questions, and the question related directly to the group discussion so I think they have done this to stop people passing the info on! Don't worry about it anyway, whatever it was (and I really can't for the life of me remember!) it was straight forward and they are only really assessing the standard of written English.
    Definitely do not give up Lucy, it was my third time trying at Plymouth and they said it is not at all unusual to see students there the second or third time round so it will happen for you!
    Kelly

7. Hi Lucy,

Just saw your post, and was wondering when you sent your application to Plymouth? I am still waiting to hear if I have an interview for the Primary pgce and they have had mine since the end of Feb. I have rang quite a few times but still haven't heard anything, and am getting worried as I really want to get on the course. Good luck with your interview!

Megan.

8. Hi Guys
    Its lucy again! ha! i have a date for my interview its on the 9th of may! so scared! i'm currently reading through the article they sent through to me. I was just wondering what question they asked you to start the discussion off in the group task. i am finding it hard to pick out points of the article to discuss? any pointers would be great! maybe an example question that they asked for the literacy test?
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Oh and Megan did you get an interview?
    Thanks
    Lucy

9. Oh and what is the video and answer session after the interview?
    sorry for all the questions. Just want to be prepared.
    Thanks
    Lucy

10. Hi there,

I heard yesterday that I have an interview at Plymouth primary PGCE! delighted but did wait a whole month to hear from them, made a few phone calls to follow up my application! I got the information pack and saw the journal so I should get cracking, just 3 weeks to go! Im travelling from Wales so had to book train and hotel. My slot is in the morning! Nervous! Fingers crossed for us all.....do u know what the intake is? I wonder if they wil take on most/ half of us etc. I do know that spaces are lower than previous years!

Many thanks,
    Cerys

11. Hi, I had a (successful!!) interview for Primary at Plymouth a few weeks ago. I had an afternoon slot, and the day went like this:
    1st everyone's id and qualifications were checked, followed by a campus tour and a presentation about the course.
    Then the group discussion based on the article previously sent out - there were about 10 of us and we had around 20 minutes of discussion. Two interviewers observed, they didn't offer any input, it was just down to us. After this, we went around the group and each had to give an example from our previous experience that gave us that warm, fuzzy, feeling about teaching - most people went for a time they felt like they'd really made a difference etc.
    After this was the numeracy/literacy test - this wasn't too hard, nothing more difficult than KS2 level stuff in the numeracy test I'd say. The literacy part was to write 1 side of A4 about your take on the group discussion.
    The final part was an interview with 2 candidates and 1 interviewer. This wasn't actually that daunting, more of a 3 way discussion than a formal interview. The best advice I'd say would be to try and back everything up with an example from your experience, that's what I did and it seemed to go down well!
    The session started at 12 and I was done around 4, but there was quite a lot of waiting around - you get a free tea/coffee voucher though to help pass the time ;)
    Obviously I can't guarantee the interview days are all run the same, mine was for a general Primary PGCE - and there were Early Years candidates there too. Hope it helps though, and good luck!