1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Plymouth Brethren

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lizdot, Jul 21, 2019.

1. lizdot

lizdot New commenter

Does anyone have experience of teaching Plymouth Brethren children please?
    Do they celebrate birthdays?

Thank you

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Gosh it's years back, but certainly I did at one school.

In those days all the girls wore little headscarves and couldn't have anything to do 'with technology; and girls were expected to grow up and become 'good wives' rather than have a career.

Can't remember about birthdays though. And of course things may have changed since.

3. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

We had several families at my last school. As far as I can remember there were no birthday celebration. They did not participate in any assemblies or celebrations linked to Christian festivals either. No technology unless used specifically for education which is hard to manage. If you haven't already, do make contact with the parents and ask for a conversation about such things as some may be more lenient than others.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

5. lizdot

lizdot New commenter

Thank you

That second link makes very interesting reading Rott.

I have spoken to the parents already but I definitely need to find out more from them.

6. -DoingMyBest

-DoingMyBest New commenter

The Plymouth Brethren children I taught went home for lunch because they were not permitted to eat with everyone else.

carriecat10 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

Oh yes, I'd forgotten this.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Ditto.

9. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Established commenter

There is a large Plymouth Brethren school in my location. They are part of a national chain. Try googling Focus Schools and looking at some of their published documentation to get a flavour of their ethos. TBH, they appear to be adapting to the demands of the 21st century.
    When my children attended a local primary, a few decades ago, there was a substantial proportion of PB pupils and the girls did wear headscarves. At the school gates, non-PB parents, such as myself, couldn’t help but notice that every single one of the families owned Peugeot estate cars to accommodate their burgeoning numbers.