1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Plymouth Brethren. Any info?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sideshowbob, Sep 18, 2007.

1. There's a lot of stuff on Google but I need to know what the implications are for teaching in Early Years with a student who follows this lifestyle/ religion.

2. There's a lot of stuff on Google but I need to know what the implications are for teaching in Early Years with a student who follows this lifestyle/ religion.

3. My suggestion having worked with children from this background as well as JWs in the past would be to ask the parents.

Generally it means- distinct roles for men and women, will probably prefer you to always talk to mother. Girls and boys tend to be brought up within these roles.

Children tend to be withdrawn from RE, but community is usually more than happy to provide work for them.

They have a very literal interpretation of the gospels, and therefore this may have implications for science (although prob not in early years).

Generally veru conservative

4. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

I went to school with some and they weren't allowed to watch/listen to any kind of media at all - meaning TVs, radio, magazines, papers, music....nothing.

5. 576

576 Occasional commenter

I know nothing about early years but have taught PB at secondary - there will probably not want the child to watch any videos or use PCs.
    If it is a girl they will probably have to wear a headscarf all the time.

6. Oh yes media. As well as some books.

7. Thanks, this is all very helpful. I will have a parent conference with mum soon so I can check things out.

8. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Senior commenter

they think they are gods chosen ones

i expect you can work out what that makes you

9. nomad

nomad Star commenter

10. One of the kids in school where I worked was of the Plymouth Brethren 'faith' (I'm a humanist, bear with me!). From what I heard, he wasn't allowed to eat in the school hall with the other kids and if he did happen to be in the same room to eat as them he had to eat seperate to them, on his own table with his back turned to them.

11. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

That is right Hermione. One of my regular supply schools has several children from the Brethren and they all go home to lunch. It caused some planning issues when we were doing foodie things in class.

12. There are two main strands of Brethren you'll come across in schools and one you won't.

1: Open (Basically like ordinary baptists but you need a letter from an approved meeting or join theirs to break bread) Meeting places usually caled 'Gospel Halls' meetings advertised outside
    2: Kelly-Glanton (closed or strict) brethren, very strict only recognise themselves as saved, everyone else is damned. Meeting places .. Brethren Meeting House or ..... (name of road or town assembly), meetings not advertised.
    3: Cooney Brethren (or 'Friends and Workers') don't mix with any of the above, home school their kids and those who work tend to be self-employed. Good book on them called 'The Secret Sect'.
    All brethren are dispensationalist and biblical literalists.

13. They have to leave the room should a pc or tv be used. They can only eat "break bread" with other PBs. Theyre generally no trouble but the PC thing will be a pain these days. The last PB I taught left school about seven years ago and they weren't quite so dominant (the PC) then.

14. I found the pc issue really difficult as the PB lad I taught (about seven years ago) was really bright and very interested in them. It was very tempting to let him stay the room when the others were using computers, plus he hated having to go to the library on his own. I think there was probably some low-level bullying although I never saw any

15. frustum

frustum Established commenter

One school round here did eventually have some success persuading the Brethren parents of a dyslexic child of the value of an Alphasmart.

With projectors and interactive whiteboards, it would be interesting to know whether the various brethren groups are tolerant of these.

16. I recently had a conversation with teachers from a brethren secondary school. A small range of DVDs or videos are approved for use in their "Focus Learning Trust" independent schools. I gather that these films are documentary type, so that pupils can, for example learn about volcanoes without having to visit one!. I'm not sure whether this is a general PB thing or just within these schools - but maybe the parents could investigate if you need to illustrate something specific?

Older pupils are sometimes allowed to learn to use specific computer programs, eg spreadsheets etc. but this won't be relevant to primary!

Recorded music may also be an issue, but people playing live music is OK (Do you have "clearing up" music? you might want to check about this if it is recorded).

Hope this helps.
    Liz

17. Mixed PE can be a problem, and obviously dance because of music.

18. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

I've taught several children from PB families and had no problem. Have a chat with parents and check what they allow and don't allow. I found that they were happy for their children to be involved in any school activities that were educational although I alwsy checked with them first. They were open and happy to answer any questions. School trips were an issue as they won't eat in front of non-PB but mum came on one trip and they sat on their own to eat. PCs ok for curriculum use as were video clips, but not films. Need to keep parents informed of what is happening and they should let you know what they feel about their child's involvement. Sometimes they kept children at home, for example when we had church service etc.

19. just wierdos!

20. happyhopey

happyhopey New commenter

whats with the eating thing?