1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PLTS help

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by matryoshkadoll, Feb 25, 2009.

1. matryoshkadoll

matryoshkadoll Occasional commenter

My induction tutor/mentor has asked me to plan some lessons using PLTS. I have looked and downloaded the chart off of the QCA website. I could really do with some ideas of how to incorporate PLTS into my lessons. I am in humanities and teach RE and Citizenship to years 9-11. Not looking for anything specific to lesson content as such - but my mentor/tutor mentioned that she had visited a school where they build the lessons around the specific skills within PLTS. Any ideas?

2. matryoshkadoll

My induction tutor/mentor has asked me to plan some lessons using PLTS. I have looked and downloaded the chart off of the QCA website. I could really do with some ideas of how to incorporate PLTS into my lessons. I am in humanities and teach RE and Citizenship to years 9-11. Not looking for anything specific to lesson content as such - but my mentor/tutor mentioned that she had visited a school where they build the lessons around the specific skills within PLTS. Any ideas?

3. We do a lot of PLTS where I teach and from my understanding it’s about helping the pupils to become independent learners. It’s shifting away from spoon feeding them information and helping them to discover things for themselves. I also teach RE and think it’s a really good subject for this. Pupils are reflecting continuously throughout topics and are taught to explain, evaluate and justify opinions.

4. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

Open questions are good:
    "Who can find a pattern in this [grammar point]?"
    "What do you think about this?"
    "How can we be a good friend?"
    etc.
    Good luck...

5. nqt04

nqt04 New commenter

OP, could you post a link to that chart, please? I've found the page about PLTS on the QCA site, but not the chart that you downloaded. I teach RE and am always on the lookout for ideas to encourage pupils to think for themselves - too many want the 'right' answer as in maths or science.
    Thank you.

6. matryoshkadoll

I can definitely understand the spoon feeding problem! The kids where I am at the moment have been educated in a middle school system and literally want you to tell them what to do bit by bit! In my final placement school last year in Birmingham which starts high school in year 7, they were taught reflection from the beginning of ks3. We even had 15 -20 minutes of each lesson devoted to a 'Reflection Task'. Now in a different area, I am finding that the kids weren't really taught these fundamental skills. I am trying to tease out of them reasons for and against statements and building ideas on the board, but it is hard work! Even year 10's have asked me 'How should I start this miss?' I must admit though, things are definitely getting better and their reflective work is improving. So I guess I must be doing something right! Thanks for your feedback, I guess what I really need to do is to tick off each area on the chart that I am already meeting and just work on that which I havent'.

7. matryoshkadoll

8. Good to see you Tafkam. How are things?

9. matryoshkadoll

Sorry Takfam if you disagree, I am mainly going on my experiences so far, the opinion of some of the teachers at my school, and what pupils have voiced about their middle school experiences. I realise that this isn't always the case, don't get me wrong. That isn't how I meant to come across. Maybe improved liason with feeder schools would improve the situation. However, I think the kids must find it difficult one year being thrust into high school and the next doing their Gcse's. Saying that, my husband was educated through a middle school system, and he has done quite well for himself.
    xx

10. nqt04

nqt04 New commenter

Thank you for the link, that's very useful.

11. Hey Lumpy,
    that page has been cut as a result of the damn cuts, don't suppose you have a copy of the complete text by any chance.
    Cheers

12. Ah found it here
    http://curriculum.qcda.gov.uk/uploads/PLTS_framework_tcm8-1811.pdf