1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Plimsolls as school shoes

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Imtheredone, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Imtheredone

Imtheredone New commenter

hi the high school I work in has a jumper and polo shirt style uniform and allows cheap unbranded lace up plimsolls as school shoes.

However some of the pupils think it’s Ok to wear vans trainers and converse etc even though there banned I don’t think it’s very fair when some of the pupils following the rules are in £3 plimsolls.

Should I ask the head teacher if he’s going to do anything about it ?? I was thinking about sending all my pupils in my class who are braking the rules which is about 10 of them to get proper school shoes or unbranded plimsolls from the office.

What should I do ??

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Maybe you need a staff discussion about the best way to collectively work on this.
    If you send the pupils to the office:
    You may send them (and SLT) a message about school uniform
    They will miss a chunk of your lesson
    You will annoy the office staff who will have other things to do.
    Unless you are certain that the office will replace the Vans and Converse with unbranded plimsolls, you will get the children trailing in still wearing the branded trainers having missed 15 minutes and disrupting the children who were learning throughout the lesson. You will then need highish level behaviour management skills to reintegrate the returners into your lesson. You will also have the returners bragging that they "got one over" on you.
    Apart from that all the outcomes will be good.

3. Imtheredone

Forgot to mention my class is y8

Tomorrow we’re having a crack down all 6 y8 classes and all y7 classes are as well pupils have been told today that they have to be in proper school shoes or cheap unbranded lace up plimsolls tomorrow other wise they have to get a pair of plimsolls from the office before registration

pepper5 likes this.
  4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Looks like they're working on it.
    Now you just have to find a strategy to deal with the ones who change back into their branded trainers just before your lesson.

5. Imtheredone

They won’t as we will confiscate there trainers / vans and there parents will have to pick them up at the end of the day