1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

plenty of courgettes again!

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by JU3fromLeics, Aug 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

What do you know? ;)
    What I thought was a 'self-invention' has been baked by Italians, probably for generations.:D

2. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Puy lentils are good instead of mince for a stuffing mix. I like courgettes fried with shredded lemon peel , add lemon juice and mix into linguine.

3. Lara mfl 05

Sounds interesting. :)Do you shred or ribbon slice the courgettes for this?

emerald52 likes this.
  4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I did a moussaka with a courgette layer a little while ago, that worked well.

In a lasagne I use them thinly sliced, slightly overlapped as a continuous top layer, brush lightly with olive oil before it goes in the oven.

As we have more than we can deal with immediately I did a bit of experimenting with freezing them, a good 1/3rd of the mass comes out as water which I used as a bit of vegetable stock rather than chucking it. The remainder was a bit skin-heavy, so I removed about half the skin before freezing as slices which were fine when fried with garlic.

Tried courgette "spaghetti" last year, won't bother again.

emerald52 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. sagesund

sagesund Occasional commenter

My sister usually has a glut of courgettes from her allotment, which she kindly gives to me. I have made them into jam with ginger or rhubarb and currently have two demijohns fermenting with courgette wine (my first attempt at using them in wine, so am hoping it turns out well).

emerald52 likes this.
  6. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Slice the courgettes into rings, if bigger halve them first. Had the courgette lemon linguine last night. You can add a chilli cut small if you like. Serve with parmesan.

7. Lara mfl 05

Thanks for the reply. If we like it will certainly go into our repertoire.:D

emerald52 likes this.
  8. henriette

henriette New commenter

I was in Italy in July and we were brought a really nice aperivo which I have successfully replicated at home:

• take 1 sheet of puff pastry and cut it in half into 2 "squares"
    • sprinkle each half with a generous portion of grated courgette
    • apply seasoning in the form of lots of salt, black pepper and fennel seeds
    • roll the pastry up to make pinwheels
    • place flat on a baking tray and bake in a medium oven until the pastry is golden (20 mins in my antique gas oven - prob less in a flashy new [ie working] electric one!)
    • serve warm as a snack or with [chips and] salad as a lunch/starter light supper

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016