1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

plenty of courgettes again!

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by JU3fromLeics, Aug 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. JU3fromLeics

JU3fromLeics Occasional commenter

There were plenty of home grown courgettes growing in the hot weather.

Grated courgette served with home grown tomatoes and lettuce and feta cheese has been a popular choice.

Courgette also works well in a stir fry.

Would anyone like to share meal ideas which include courgette?

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I often make a type of 'ratatouille' with courgettes/ onions/ tomatoes + any other seasonal veg.

Stuffed baked courgettes.

Lasagne, replacing the top layer of pasta (or other layers if you wish) with courgettes.

stupot101 likes this.
  3. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

4. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

Perfect. So, how do I make a 'simple ratatouille' ('simple' being the operative word:)) for 'one'

:)

5. Lara mfl 05

There's recipes here Good Food or here Jamie Oliver
    However I did say 'type of ratatouille'. ;) Basically I just lightly fry which ever vegetables (courgettes, tomatoes, spring onions or small leeks, mushrooms, peppers etc. ) I happen to have a glut of, or need using up (eg peppers past using for salad ;)).

Use a non-stick pan, which will save on needing to use oil if you're worried about cholesterol.:D

As to proportions I have non-stick frying pans in a variety of sizes and then enough veg to cover the base of the pan suitable for your size of serving. (You can see I'm not a big 'follow the recipe to the letter type cook.;))

I don't add sugar but do add herbs and a touch of white wine vinegar.

Served with bread in summer and rice or potatoes in winter.

stupot101 likes this.
  6. catmother

catmother Star commenter

7. Lara mfl 05

8. catmother

catmother Star commenter

My mother is French!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. Lara mfl 05

Ooh I make that too. Only I call it 'Vegetable Bake'.;)
    M-i-l also likes hers with a cheese sauce rather than just cheese on the top.
    Of course. the tian didn't seem obviously French to me.:oops: (Honestly! Call myself a Language teacher.:rolleyes:)
    Never been to Provence is my excuse. And I'm sticking with it. ;)

10. JU3fromLeics

Must try lasagne with a courgette layer sometime. :)

Move on to ratatouille next month I think.

11. JU3fromLeics

What's a good idea for a filling?

12. Lara mfl 05

Really anything you like and have to hand.

Traditional is of course mince. Mixed with onions and tomato sauce and a few herbs.

I often use a stuffing mix base. Add onions, dried tomatoes, mushrooms, peppers whatever with something like a Worcester sauce and Branston pickle.

Cheapest option is fresh breadcrumbs mixed with bacon.;) Sprinkle some cheese on right at the end if you want to 'push the boat out'.

I usually cut the marrows in half, (one per person) scoop out the seeds and then put the filling inside. Wrap in foil and a 6-7 inch courgette will only take 30-35 mins to cook.

13. stupot101

Thanks for the advice. Will try a few things out, and taste the results:)

Always good to keep in mind:)

Though I thought you still had to use oil in a non-stick pan - preferably olive oil? you can see how much I know about cooking can't you?:)

Anyway, thanks again:)

14. stupot101

Oh... one quick question. To my thinking - if I see a recipe for 4, I simply divide the quantities by 4 in order to cook for 1?:)
    Or else I can use the recipe as designed, and freeze some for another day.

15. Lara mfl 05

If you keep the heat down to low/medium I find I can often get by without any oil in non-stick. Depends on how 'dry' your ingredients are.
    However if you feel you need to use some olive oil is better and the spray just gives a 'light touch'!;)

Re downsizing ingredients. Generally divide amounts by portions, though things like pinch of salt & herbs may be different.
    I'd suggest cooking a 2 portion meal and as you suggest then freeze half. Less 'clogging up of the same meal in the freezer ;)!

16. stupot101

Thanks for that information:)

So, I could downsize a four portion meal down, to 2 (divide by 2) and then freez one meal.
    I do like herbs, but less spices - so it will be a 'taste and see' test:D

Many thanks:)

17. Lara mfl 05

Good to see a male getting to grips with cooking.

I always taught my boys that they would need to cook for themselves at certain points in their lives and they're bot good cooks. (Their new wives do appreciate my efforts.:D)
    Husband cooked before I met him and bakes cakes much better than any attempts I've ever made.;)

stupot101 likes this.
  18. stupot101

19. JU3fromLeics

Like this idea for stuffed courgettes and might try it using breadcrumbs as a base.

20. JU3fromLeics