1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Plenary Idea's??

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Lou215, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Hi,
    I'm coming to the end of my 2nd yr BA HONs... and was wondering if anyone has any good plenary ideas/activities?
    This is one of my targets from my observations, to extend their learning... I'm just struggling to think of some creative ideas!
    Any help would be much appreciated
    :eek:)

2. Can you tell us what you did for the main part of one of your lessons and we can come up with some ideas to extend the learning?

3. Here are 51 plenary ideas I copied from somebody else's threat. Think it was aimed at ICT teachers and some are specifically related to ICT but most could be adapted for primary classroom.
    1. List three things you have learned today 2. List three things your neighbour has learned today 3. 60 second challenge – sum up 4. Write the new words you have learned this lesson and what they mean in ICT (also alternative meanings in other curriculum areas) 5. Write three/five top tips for… 6. The answer is … what is the question? 7. Take one minute to compose two sentences in your head to explain what we have learnt and how we have learnt it, using the key words from the lesson 8. Where can you use/apply this skill in other areas of ICT or in other subjects? 9. In pairs, answer this question on a post-it/sheet, stick it on the board and review. Does everyone agree? 10. Show your work to your neighbour, work in pairs to set targets 11. Self assessment – record what you’ve learnt, any difficulties you have had and set your personal targets 12. Prediction - what do you think will happen next? 13. Show me boards to answer True/False to statements given 14. Jigsaw feedback – groups work on different parts of task then reform to share findings 15. Group ‘show and comment’ on what was learnt 16. Feedback to whole class by one or two groups only (use rota or roll of dice) 17. Change of role – student as teacher. What questions would you ask the class and why? 18. Groups of three, numbered 1-3. Put statements on OHT which individuals must explain to group 19. Quick fire oral ‘quiz’ to review/revisit learning 20. Giving wrong answer(s). Why is this wrong? 21. Consolidation using loop cards (mini loops within the class) 22. Comparing strategies. Which is the most efficient and why? 23. Matching games or cards to consolidate ideas 24. Pose an open question that can lead to generalisation of key ideas from the lesson (accessible to all) 25. Pick up on any further misconceptions from the main teaching 26. Make a ‘mini book’ summarising or revising key ideas and vocabulary (end of unit plenary) 27. Revisit objective of the lesson self assessment – students indicate how they feel with respect to achieving the objective 28. Students write their own questions based on the objective of the lesson (these questions can then be selected randomly and used with the rest of the class) 29. Link the lesson to new learning – next lesson/next year 30. Visualisation based on the learning and vocabulary 31. Students write their own visualisation (could be used for next o/m starter) 32. “ Taboo” game – describe a word/key idea from the lesson with/without using given words. Teacher could present or students write their own 33. Setting up a homework task (although the plenary should not be used for this exclusively) 34. Teacher led probing questions to test understanding 35. Students develop their own probing questions to test their partner’s understanding 36. Aide memoirs – students devise their own ideas/mnemonics eg picture/visual clues to the meaning of key words (eg parallel or Never Eat Shredded Wheat) linked to objective 37. Give students a known fact and an unknown fact, in pairs/groups find the route from one to the other 38. Sentences with missing words and a selection of given words to fit in 39. Questions with alternative answers posted around the walls and students go to the answer they think is correct and explain why (could give 10 seconds to reconsider) 40. ‘ Odd one out’ – in pairs/groups choose odd one out and explain why 41. From lesson objective write 3 true and 3 false statements, give them to your partner to sort out (could follow up with large paper at front) 42. Give the solution to a problem cut into strips, pairs/groups to put into correct order/sequence 43. Give the solution to a problem that students have to improve (eg graph, data collection, collecting like terms) 44. ‘ Same or different?’ – give group of shapes/expressions/graphs and students identify what is the same and what is different about them 45. Give students groups of shapes/expressions/graphs etc and students sort into 2 groups/3 groups according to their own classifications (you could give the number items in each group) 46. Consolidation of key ideas through repetition of structured sentences as a class 47. Selecting the information required to solve a problem (words, pictorially or numbers) 48. Web diagram with false information – students have to select the correct information 49. If the aim of the lesson was set as a question… Pupils answer questions on whiteboards – with word limit for sentence to provide extra challenge 50. Set ‘who wants to be a millionaire’ questions for your neighbour or other groups 51. In role answering – hot seating activity

4. Meant to say somebody else's thread!

5. It depends on the lesson and what the objectives were but my three favourite plenary activities, that always work, are.
    Keyword bingo - Students choose six keyords from a list of nine or so that you provide. You then provide definitions which the students have to work out and cross off their list of six. Winners get rewards or to leave first etc.This one is fun but doesn't really assess the learning.
    Big bounce - give the students an open question based on the objectives then pass one of them a ball. They have a go at answering the question then throw it to someone else who can add to or change parts of their answer, continue until the class build a full answer to the question. This one really relies on a good question so think carefully and make sure all students can access it. I used this in an interview lesson and got the job. The question I used was specific to the lesson and could be answered simply or with more detail, linking it to ideas from other parts of the curriculum.
    Finally my favourite plenary at the moment is a simple spot quiz. Kids love it. 6 or so questions that assess the learning to be answered in their books. Make the final two questions ones that require application of the lessons learning to other situations and you will have extension. Go through the answers and then ask for hands up - who got 3 or more, 4 or more ....

6. Hi,
    Yea sure...
    We tasted african fruit (from Handa's Surprise) and they had to work in groups to think of new and interesting words to describe the fruits.
    I then asked the HAP's to put these words into a sentence to describe the fruit, e.g. the mango was....and.....
    Thanks
    Lou

7. How about pass the parcel? Done in exactly the same way as the kids party game except with questions between the layers which relate to the learning objectives. Works better with smaller groups. It also works better if you can intersperse the questions with rewards of some kind - school instants, stickers etc or sweets if you/your school are ok with it.