1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Plenary for subtraction activities

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by anamwasti, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Hi guys, ive been asked to teach the children subtraction this week. I have ideas about activities such as biscuits and a tin, animal bus, IWB presentation etc.. But i did similar stuff for addition and found it got a bit repetitive and boring.
    I need some ideas for the plenary and what i could ask children to do.
    Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks x

2. Your plenary might need to be about what the children have done in the lesson (misconceptions, extension etc), however, if not, maybe a 'counting back' game would be good, as that links well to subtraction eg drop buttons into a bucket (once inside the buttons can't be seen) counting together, "how many?", then start subtracting buttons so that children have to keep a running total, counting backwards. Check they are counting with one-to-one correspondence by stopping occasionally to 'cough' or 'sneeze' etc - they should stop counting too of course, if they are not just reciting numbers automatically.