1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please will someone tell me it will get easier!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by psalm23, May 22, 2011.

1. School is in Notice to Improve , we are all working our socks off, pressure is relentless, I'm sure I'm not the only one feeling exhausted and starting to feel that physically I'm not coping because of lack of sleep - I wonder if Ishould seriously look for other employment whilst I'm well enough to look and have the energy to do so, or wait til I'm off sick! Has anyone been in this situation and now looks back to think it was a temporary situation and that they can cope!Or is this it for a lot longer?
    As I have said , it's the effects of lack of sleep that are bothering me - eye twitching, head aches, short tempered (which obviously makes me short tempered in the classroom and so under perform), but I jus can't switch off most nights (and I work part-time).
    Just a rant really , but wondering where this is going to lead, I don't want to put my long term health at risk...

2. I would like to, but it really depends on why you were N2I

We came out within 6 months but are still working full pelt 2 years later

3. Personally I think even if you do come out - the whole process will kill you - metaphorically speaking in terms of career enthusiasm as well as health wise....
    Not many suddenly become a utopia afterwards....
    If you were able to move I would...

4. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Get out while you can, pet.

5. I stayed at a school in a bad situation (not NTI, mind you but looked to be heading that way) and it just got worse for me until I had to leave.
    I'd look to move on if I was you.

6. I agree with what's been said. I left as the school was descending into a mire and then within two years it went into Special Measures. It's only just coming out of it all now and the effect it had on the staff was awful.

If you can leave I would suggest you do.

7. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

From a different perspective. I was in a "bad" school, we worked very hard with a nightmare head (that being a man management nightmare rather than his vision for the school) and we came out of it. I didn't have children of my own at the time, so it didn't matter that I HAD to stay at school one Friday until 10pm(!) or work a Sunday, along with the rest of the staff. I saw it as an education in itself and I'm very glad I did it. I did move schools, but only because of his attitutdes towards people. If he'd been a more understanding person/kindly, I would have stayed. I learned loads from the work side of things and I'm glad I was there. I went in knowing what state the school was in. I couldn't do it now with children of my own to look after.
    Each to their own. If it's making you ill, either go or take time off. when you're under par you can't think straight or perform well.
    Good luck.

8. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

the trouble is nti doesnt end when you get out..its sort of carries one with teachers still having to work a high intense level of activity.A recent school our way came out of one and the advisor said it was hard graft...but the staff welded and became a better teaching force.......and their std of teaching was far more able and measured.They where lucky the had a head who stayed the course , was good, spent time praising abd welding the team etc etc.
    If you are going down the secret is to abandon before you drown.but do take time t see the head and to explain.I an sure folks understand th pressure and hopefully they wil not condem you for jumping of......but they might if you just go.

9. ditwee

ditwee New commenter

I have known an NTI school get a lot better but it needed (and got) a change of leadership, and some new staff, and time for behavioural management problems to work. This can make all the difference. If your HT is basically solid, the extra training and so on can work to improve the school but it is a slow process. You might only see the real effects once the Y1 class who has benefited from all this have made their way through the school.

10. It's important to remember this - ideally it will go from NTI to being satisfactory but if OFSTED aren't happy in a year's time they will put the school into special measures.

11. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

12. Perhaps those advising 'Get out' are part of the reason Notice to Improve schools have such a hard time. Perhaps if a staff stuck together and toughed it out, they could improve the school for the pupils and themselves. THat's my experience, anyway. Teamwork works.

13. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I don't agree. Why put yourself through it? Also, poorly performing schools do not erupt overnight. It has usually taken years of mis-management and staff not all singing from the same songsheet to get into the mess in the first place. It then takes years, and usually a change over of SMT at the very least, to pull back.
    A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

14. I'm speaking from experience, Belle. Everyone working together, having realised that things need to change, can actually effect change. I'm not suggesting it is always true, but it is unfair, and demoralising for the OP, to suggest it never is.

15. Also, although it often/usually isn't the fault/responsibility/however you want to phrase it of all staff that there is a problem, it isn't just one or two either. Working together and honestly evaluating performance can benefit many teachers.

16. Thanks for all comments, I guess it's like running a marathon, and I'm hoping we're at mile 24! slept badly last night again, and I'm so fed up of feeling so damn tired.The thought of summer hols looming helps a bit ...but we'll return to more of the same until we get through next OFSTED. To be honest I think we'll get through OK, it just seems a long way off still.