1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please tell me teaching gets better?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by BiologyTrainee, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Northern_Miss

Northern_Miss New commenter

Have you considered asking if you can observe some of the teachers in your school who have a strong reputation for classroom management and who are well liked by the worst kids/classes that you teach? In addition to reading some of the great advice on this forum, seeing other teachers in action is always valuable experience...

2. lindsaygii

lindsaygii New commenter

Forget all-singing-all-dancing lessons. "Make friends" with a few key players among the students (colleagues may advise you who these are), they will keep discipline better than you can, because they are the actual leaders. Once you have some calm in the room and students can enjoy your teaching you'll find the majority come on side and will keep the trouble makers quiet. Finally you can focus on just sorting out the last few.

Never give detention in the first few minutes. Keep your powder dry. Work on your 'very bored and slightly disdainful' face. Sighing, pursed lips and waiting (if necessary for minutes) for silence are MUCH more effective than any school-approved discipline. Use this face a lot and sanctions hardly at all. Sanctions are a sign of weakness. Use comedy. Never give detention in the first few minutes. Yes, I know I said that twice!

'Abroad' isn't some kind of nirvana. Some schools are much worse for behaviour than UK ones because of the sense of entitlement among students and parents. Some are better. But everywhere you go you will be shut up in a room with a bunch of teenagers for an hour, five times a day. They will always sniff out the weaknesses, hence the bored face and the comedy until they respect / like you. Then it's easy.

ps: remember on your PGCE your tutor sitting in the back of the room? That's why they were behaving! :)

3. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

I'm probably 'old-fashioned' and also used to teaching older students also, but I found that when I had a student who seemed to be a bit disruptive, I had a quiet word with them first, acted quite friendly towards them and would give them a little job to do for me. It could be to collect papers at the end of the lesson, or to write the date on the board, or something useful. I would also seat them near to me - probably up under my nose, ha ha I would make a point of saying: 'Good morning ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, How are you today:' etc Get them on your side rather than against you and you'll have a friend for life, ha ha In the 'olden days' and with secretarial students, I gave them the job, one by one, at getting my copying done before the lesson, In the 'olden days' it was using the Gestetner, but perhaps you could ask them with photocopying? Or not? They are often misbehaving because they are seeking attention for some reason - perhaps something to do with home life. Giving them little jobs to do could well help you, and help them. Do tell me if this isn't a good idea in this day and age. :)

4. maggie_piano

maggie_piano New commenter

Its very early days to be thinking about leaving and dare I say it too early to be thinking of buying a house this early in your career. You have enough to think about with your career. Teaching is demanding emotionally and the workload in the first year is considerable. After the first year it gets easier because you have a library of resources to use and reuse. You have a much heavier timetable now than you would have done in your pgce year I think. So comparing the two is not appropriate.
    Just a few tips- lighten up a bit, good beginnings and endings to lesson
    line up outside, greeting the pupils with a smile and a joke
    Lots of good targetted feedback- stamps, merits, cards home,
    Do you have the speed of your lessons right? too slow ( 2 tasks in an hour) or too fast
    and get to know your students outside the classroom. I am musical so that helps- sport is a good one too. Try not to be too critical of yourself it does get better- assign time to lesson prep at least 2 hours a day plus sundays and mark regularly and hopefully it should get better.