1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please tell me no-one teaches this?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by percy topliss, May 12, 2011.

1. percy topliss

percy topliss Established commenter

I am sorry but this really made me laugh!
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/8507566/Worthless-vocational-qualifications-to-be-axed.html
    One of the best bits has got to be....

A Certificate in Personal Effectiveness
    One sample paper asked pupil to “find out what benefits you are entitled to if you are unemployed”. It also asks students to “show that you can obtain information on a topic you are interested in” using telephones, the internet, radio or TV and newspapers.
    Years ago there was a newspaper ad in the Sun with a picture of Neil Kinnock saying " if this man wins (the election) tomorrow will the last person out turn off the lights,
    I have nothing against Mr Kinnock he was always a sort of likeable buffoon but it would appear that the point where the lights need to be turned out may have been reached....

Up and at em!
    Perce

max5775 likes this.
  2. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

Perce, mon brave, I think you are being just a bit harsh. With just a small tweak this idea could be a winner.
    If they changed it to 'An Advanced Diploma in Personal INeffectiveness' I'm certain OFQUAL (which sounds even dafter than the CPE) would jump at it.
    In fact several candidates are already bibbling to mind...

3. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

So you only think a qualificational is worthwhile if it gets you a job? And why is it funny for a child that isn't academic at all who manages to show that they can find information? For many students this would be a major achievement. Don't laugh at the less gifted.

What is a joke is how education in the UK has been dominated by political whim and fancy and now Finland is the new messiah. But in finland they have no real national curriculum, higher paid teachers, no school uniforms (common in many east European countries it seems) and much better social equality. All the things we don't have in uk!

4. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

I'd still rather work in the UK than Finland, given the option. Anyhow, teachers in the UK are often over paid nowadays. It wasn't all that long ago when I last worked in the UK as second in command; the salary I had then hassince been overtaken by standard scale teachers nowadays.
    As to Percy's mocking of the weak; yes, shame on you. Shurely the academically challenged have the right to earn meaningless pieces of paper too.

5. Mainwaring

Why not? Most children/ parents think exactly that.
    Did anyone on the thread do that? I must have missed it.

6. <font size="2">I teach COPE. </font> Sadly the Telegraph has focussed in on a very small aspect of the course rather than producing a balanced argument that highlights the pros and cons of the course. I hadn&rsquo;t expected people in education to do the same.

7. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

Well said Gelfling. For the year 11 group I teach, these skills are tough and take a lot of learning. (they are working between P level 8 and level 2 of the National Curriculum although they are 15 and 16 years old) They are really useful skills and do need teaching.
    Why shouldn't they get some nationally accepted qualification to recognise their efforts.
    Shame on the educatonal professionals who put them down and mock their very real struggle to learn

8. Mainwaring

And let us not admit, even for a moment, that nobody on this thread has done anything of the kind.

9. dummy....

10. Mainwaring

It wasn't MY mistake.
    Dummy.

11. I do understand the argument, but must admit i was taken aback when my teenage son came home from his first week with his employer (who has fortunately agreed to give him an apprenticeship), brandishing a cheque and not having the first idea of what to do with it! He soon learnt though... Definitely think an understanding of banking/money awareness is essential if only to avoid them getting into debt almost immediately.

12. Ooh, I know that, boss, but it don't make you look good...[​IMG]

13. But we all did that!

14. Mainwaring

Stop being a wuss and congratulate me on the birth of my third grandchild/ second granddaughter, born at 12.04 this morning and, according to my son, who should know, the most perfect child ever to see the light of day.

15. pomunder

pomunder New commenter

Congratulations, Mainwaring. But I take issue with "the most perfect child", as that title is taken by MissP.

16. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

I remember the first time I brandished a cheque and had no idea what to do with it. I asked someone and the kind soul told me what to be doing with it. Now, if I'd taken a two week course in how to write a cheque I'd have saved myself 30 seconds. Good job I took the advanced course in skipdatsh1t.

17. Congrats, Olive man.
    I think you'll find that your son is totally correct, as am I and loads of others in his happy, happy position.
    [​IMG]

18. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Don't you hate those parents who seem to think that all learning should come from schools? This is a typical example of a parent who fits that bill.
    Doesn't need a course, just an inclusive family environment.

19. percy topliss

percy topliss Established commenter

20. Re Percy's link

It's about time.