1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please support the On Line Petition re Adult Bullying in Schools

Discussion in 'Governors' started by grrmummy, Jul 16, 2012.

1. grrmummy

grrmummy New commenter

[​IMG]
    Lives can be ruined by bullying. Even if you have not been directly affected, please support the petition to stop Adult Bullying in Schools;

2. Lucy12

Lucy12 New commenter

I'm sorry grrmummy that you sound so angry about his but surely you don't need to post in on 15 forums? And to keep reposting it and reposting it - you first posted this here over a month ago. It doesn't sound healthy for you. Please try and calm down a bit. If you've really only had 150 signatures in the first month it is obvious you are never going to get the 100,000 signatures you want. Even if you continue to get signatures at the same rate it will be over 60 years before it gets debated by parliament. I don't doubt some people have suffered terribly but in the big picture of the problems facing the country today, and our children this is not the most important thing in the world. Sorry, I know it isn't what you want to hear but someone has to say it.

3. grrmummy

grrmummy New commenter

Sorry Lucy. I suspect I may have touched a nerve.
    Not everyone reads all the TES forums (I certainly don't) but I think people are entitled to know that the petition exists even if they choose not to support it.
    I have no problem with people choosing not to support the petition as it is up to individuals to decide for themselves.
    But the fact that another 9 people have signed the petition since I posted it earlier today on other TES forums suggests to me that at least nine people at least empathise/agree.
    Truth be told - I don't feel angry. I feel resigned. Which is worse.

4. montiagh

montiagh New commenter

Lucy12 - You are clearly someone who knows little about abuses to adults in schools. In terms of this forum for governors there is an endless stream of governors who have been bullied and abused and there is nothing in the system that protects them, most certainly not the dfe. For all those who have no affinity to the aims of grrmummy's on-line petition, I hope that you never befall the bullying and abuses that happen to adults in school every day. The fact that the request has been repeated is irrelevant and disingenuous to a very important cause.

5. R13

R13 Occasional commenter

MONTIAGH
    why do you think such a widespread and important issue then seems to be garnering such little support in terms of support?
    That's a honest question, not a dig. The only reason I can think of is that most people think it is not very widespread at all because where it does exist surely we must have sympathy and empathy.
    I think it is one of the most written about thing on TES forums - but after 30 years in schools have seen very little of it . . .and what I have seen has been more prevalent on PTAs from parents towards other parents

6. montiagh

montiagh New commenter

R13
    You are very lucky that you have seen little and have not personally been affected by it. It is a fact that bullying of adults occurs in schools in all sorts of forms. I responded here on the basis of school governors. School governors have no protection from bullying and abuse especially not from the Department of Education. I have wondered why this important area does not garner the support that it needs. Perhaps it is like male spousal abuse. Most people don't believe that it occurs and so are apethetic towards the cause. Only if you are abused can you fully understand the traumatic pain. This area needs the support of all 300,000 governors in the UK, but I have no doubt most will go about their busy lives and not bother to support the on line petition.

7. grrmummy

grrmummy New commenter

All this petition is really asking for is for adults who feel they have been bullied by adults in schools to have access to an independent hearing because existing school complaint/grievances processes are often inadequate.
    GB's can play a role by making sure they have policies in place which recognise and challenge adult bullying in schools. Some do - but many don't because they simply do not recognise that the problem exists in the first place.
    The petition now has 162 signatures. It might not seem many but IMHO compares favourably to most of the other on line petitions re bullying. I have not yet asked my family/friends to sign it (it is open for another eleven months) so I assume that the signaturies are in some way connected to schools.
    Statistics are of course entirely relative: Put another way, 162 people equates to 5 - 6 classes of children. If every child counts, so should every teacher.

8. grrmummy

grrmummy New commenter

And every governor.

9. R13

R13 Occasional commenter

Thank you for your replies.
    Given that Governors are volunteers and as such more proactive than perhaps the average person, and that there are 300,000 of them - the fact that only 162 people have signed the petition is that whilst I may be lucky not to have been affected by work place bullying in schools I must be part of the vast, vast majority not to have been affected by it personally or seen it affect valued colleagues.

I have no doubt this is a massive issue for those affected BUT I'd have to maintain it is an issue that appears to occur extremely rarely, whilst being discussed on fora very regularly

10. montiagh

montiagh New commenter

R13
    I think we need to understand the context of how many governors can actually be reached on here.
    If it were possible (and it is not) for the message about the online petition to reach all 300,000 governors and for that matter governors who have left the fraternity because of bullying, then the actual response IMO would be a large 5 figure sum. I have no idea how many School Governors are signed up on this governors forum, but based on the figures of a much wider used governor forum of half of one per cent, one can judge that very few governors are being reached. Perhaps if it were possible via the LA (and of course it would not be) to obtain all of the email addresses of the 300,000 governors, then the count would be substantially different and I suspect a greater understanding of the problem.

11. grrmummy

grrmummy New commenter

Thanks so much to all who have supported this petition since I posted in on (these additional) TES forums – we have over 200 signatures now. If we get 500 signatures the petition will be looked at and if we get 100,000 it stands a good chance of being debated in the House...
    Some people may feel that existing school complaint/grievance procedures are sufficient. Great if they are (this is how it should be)
    But for many of us (including people like me who have been bullied as governors) the procedures in place are inadequate (hence the reason for this petition).
    We have still got almost eleven months for the petition to run. Please support it if you feel you can (but no problem if you can’t – it is entirely your decision)

12. Hair Shirt

Hair Shirt New commenter

Its disappointing that to drum up support for this you are misleading us. 500 signatures won't get the petiton 'looked at'. That was what happened under the last Labour government epetition scheme. It doesn't happen under this one, not according to the website. How do you know you know that in the highly unlikely event that it gets 100,000 signatures "it stands a good chance of being debated in the House"? The website explains that the only thing that automatically happens at 100,000 signatures is that the Commons Backbench Business Committee is advised and can consider if it wants to discuss it further. Any debate would still have to be sponsored by an MP. Have you got an MP lined up to do this? Thought not.
    What a shame we can't be told the truth.

13. montiagh

montiagh New commenter

For all those who have come on this thread to criticise the great intentions of Grrmummy you should hold your head in shame. Bullying of adults in school does occur and it can wreck peoples lives and there is not sufficient safeguarding in schools to protect them. We all take safeguarding of children very seriously, so to should we take safeguarding adults seriously, especially those who have come on here to swipe at the originator.

Grrmummy - have you thought to drop this on UKgovernors?

14. grrmummy

grrmummy New commenter

Thank you - yes but I am pleased to say that someone else beat me to it...
    [​IMG]

15. Hair Shirt

Hair Shirt New commenter

I will not be bullied into silence by you montiagh for speaking the truth about the obsession with bullying on this forum.

How ironic that those keenest to parade their self-proclaimed victim status are quickest to bully anyone who has the temerity to disagree with them.

I will not hold my head in shame, au contraire I will hold my head up proudly and state the obvious truth. No-one here has ever been able to produce a shred of evidence from any independent body that bullying of adults in schools is rife despite being challenged to do so. Despite weeks of effort to drum up support across multiple websites and forums, constantly bumping messages to the top and deliberately misleading people about the impact their signatures will have a mere 200 of Englands 425,000 teachers - fewer than 0.05% - care enough to tick a box on the epetitions website. To any rational teacher that says that the claims of endemic bullying on here grossly overstate the true frequency. (Please note, I am NOT saying bullying never happens, nor denying that it can sometimes have serious consequences for a small number of its victims.)

16. montiagh

montiagh New commenter

Hair shirt, this is an open forum, there is not a morsel contained in anything I have said that is trying to 'silence you' and where on earth do you get the bullying bit from (which is quite ironic)? I am grateful that you have seemingly conceded that bullying does go on and if that is the case anything that can be done to assist those in schools that are affected by this is worthwhile even if it repeats the message.

17. Hair Shirt

Hair Shirt New commenter

So that makes your bullying OK then does it?
    Posts on other forums often remark that bullies try to prevent those who disagree with them speaking out by belittling them. Telling anyone who disagrees with you and grummy that they should hold their head in shame is textbook bullying by belittling. And most bullies, when their behaviour is pointed out to them, say 'what me, a bully, not me, where do you get that idea from?' Sound familiar?

and still you and grrummy can't explain why the truth isn't told abourt epetitions or where the evidence is for endemic bullying

18. grrmummy

grrmummy New commenter

Hair shirt, I am not sure what point you are trying to make. The truth about epetitions is that they are a legitimate way of highlighting issues of concern. People choose whether or not to support them.This is democracy. It is not bullying.
    The HM website activelty encourages people to post links on forums. I am not a member of facebook nor do I tweet (my choice) so I cannot follow the suggestions made on the HM website to publicise the petition link there.
    Nowhere in the petition does it say anything about endemic bullying. It simply says that the propbelm that exists needs to be addressed. And IMHO it does.
    Many schools will already have robust policies in place to deal with complaints/grievances about adult bullying. But a policy will only ever be as good as its implementation. You state that the signatures gathered in the space of a few weeks (200+) represents just 0.05% of people who may have encountered this issue and you infer that this means the problem does not exist. But this is surely the whole pooint of the petition? It is to find out how much support there is. Not everyne who agrees with something will sign a petition anymore that not everyone who disagrees will say so.
    But for me there is (also) another issue. How can any child being bullied in a school expect to be taken seriously if adults in schools do not take the issue of bullying seriously?
    I cannot speak as a teacher - just as a parent and as a governor. Thankfully my experience was confinded to just one school (which I no longer have links with) but I never again want to see parents,teachers, and governors being bullied by adults in schools - or to hear of children being bullied who have no option other than to leave a school. People deserve more than this.
    But bullies control the stories and this is why an independent means of looking at complaints/grievances about adult bullying in schools needs to be established. Ostrich managment is not helpful: Denying a problem exists may mean that there is no 'evidence' of it but its true repercusions can be serious - even fatal.[​IMG]

19. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

Have a look at the work of Professors Helge Hoel and Cary Cooper at the University of Manchester.

20. Their work going back to the late 90s looks interesting and worth following up.
    grrummy - however distressing your experience may be, it is only 1 case. Given that the DfE complaints team numbers no more than 5 people and has significant self imposed restrictions on just what they can investigate, how much faith do you have in a positive outcome after so many months?