1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please respond - who knows if their local authority is promoting interventions of the Reading Recovery and Catch Up type which are not in line with th

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by debbiehep, Oct 3, 2007.

1. I managed it, OOO. I did SP with a class of summer borns who were in for a term, and they ended up way ahead of the class who had been in since Christmas who were being taught a weird mix of SP and searchlights. Not just reading, but they were confident early writers and spellers too. The difference wasn't slight - it was rather embarassingly huge!!!!

2. 000

I don't have a class of summer borns though. I have 20 september entrants and then 10 summer borns, part time for jan to easter and then full time from easter to summer.

3. Sorry - I don't understand what is the problem with that.

4. 000

I am only human! How do you get children who have half as much time in reception year as the sept entrants to match, or even succeed their peers? Maybe i'm missing something obvious.

5. Umm....it's because SP is good and searchlights isn't.

6. 000

If my jan entrants all exceeded my sept entrants i would have to question what the hell i was doing for the first term! Do you cover the pictures in the book when the child reads to you?

7. Ouch no! Why on earth would you?

And yes....I didn't have to question what the other teacher was doing as I knew it wasn't right.

8. 000

Just to clarify - the staggered entrants are all in the same class.

I teach a sp session as i am required to do. All i am trying to say is that when a child comes across the word circus, for example, it is ok to look at the picture and use context to enable them to access the text and confirm what the word says.

9. And just to clarify....the eg I gave was parallel classes, staggered entry. To illustrate my point that SP works and searchlights doesn't.

I would be very concerned about a child becoming dependent on using picture clues to understand the text - because as they get older this technique becomes useless.

10. 000

So would i. But when you want children to have success when they are beginning to learn a new skill then i don't see the problem. Obviously if they were never looking at words there is cause for concern. But i can honestly say i have never taught a child who continually relies on pictures, they are used as confirmation not a solution.

Would you ever suggest looking at the picture to help read a word?

11. 000 - to go back to the word 'circus'. Why would you give a child that word to read before he/she knows the code necessary to sound it out?

12. 000

"Please miss... i really like the book about the clowns. Please can I take it home as my reading book!!!!"

"No you do not have the ability to read that book"

or

"yes of course you can, lets have a quick read through it now."

13. If you have only ever taught FS and KS1 its probable you won't have encountered children who RELY on picture clues to access the meaning of very simple text. Very sadly, there are plenty of older children who haven't been taught the skills necessary to access the picture-less text they need to in order to access the rest of the curriculum.

14. Of course...."lets read it TOGETHER" and enjoy the experience of enjoying a book."

15. 000

Please don't assume that I am one of them. Children leave my class with the confidence and ability to access appropriate texts looking only at the words. I know you can't read picures and so do they.

mandala out of interest do you ever encourage children to look at the picture for confirmation?

16. 000 - it sounds as if you don't have enough good decodable reading books available. I write decodable stories for the children I work with and they love them, even though, in most cases, the only pictures are on the front cover!

And the added bonus is the excitement of being able to read them independently, which for KS2 children who have previously experienced so much failure in literacy is extremely heart-warming!

17. 000

In fs we are trying to turn children on to books. this means we like them to choose a their own. They are not all made up of decodable words. Giving a 4 year old a book without pictures is not something i would ever consider.

18. All I can say, 000, is that you can do both.

19. 000

Do both?

20. 000 - you need to consider your 'precise learning intention'.

There is a time to let children have any book and your classroom should be full of all manner of books.

But when you are TEACHING the children the mechanics of reading, the pictures are not the issue. You need material designed to support your teaching.

It looks as if you are muddling up the 'enrichment' side of your provision, with the 'teaching' side of your provision.

Also, it looks as if you are making an assumption that children don't get enjoyment from decoding only text.

My experience is that children really LOVE being able to do the decoding without any pictures. They love their newtaught code knowledge and skills and applying these themselves.

I am getting the impression more and more that your mixed methods position is possibly more about your lack of understanding about synthetic phonics teaching (and please don't take that comment personally because you are far from alone).

There has been very little - to no - proper synthetic phonics training provided via the government. Any that there has been has been recent and down to local authority advisers who have taken the initiative to get in one of the independent synthetic phonics trainers or to have trained in Letters and Sounds as transparently as possible.

There are vast numbers of insufficiently informed teachers out there.