1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please respond - who knows if their local authority is promoting interventions of the Reading Recovery and Catch Up type which are not in line with th

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by debbiehep, Oct 3, 2007.

1. This is a really serious issue.

Someone commented just today that the local authority were promoting intervention which was still pushing the multi-cueing of the searchlights reading strategies.

Just to make this clear - this means that any local authorities doing this are in effect saying:

The Rose recommendations are fine for the stronger schools and stronger pupils and the strategies which the Rose Report rejects are appropriate for the weaker schools and the weaker pupils.

The Reading Reform Foundation wishes to address this issue of intervention because it is a dreadful contradiction if people in authority purport to be in line with Rose and then continue to promote multi-cueing intervention programmes.

Gordon Brown continues to promote Reading Recovery which is absolutely not in line with the Rose recommendations.

We have even heard on this forum of Reading Recovery being started as soon as in reception.

Please support this thread and tell us what seems to be going on in your authorities.

Also, please report how you feel about this even if you are not aware of any practice in your local authority.

2. This is a really serious issue.

Someone commented just today that the local authority were promoting intervention which was still pushing the multi-cueing of the searchlights reading strategies.

Just to make this clear - this means that any local authorities doing this are in effect saying:

The Rose recommendations are fine for the stronger schools and stronger pupils and the strategies which the Rose Report rejects are appropriate for the weaker schools and the weaker pupils.

The Reading Reform Foundation wishes to address this issue of intervention because it is a dreadful contradiction if people in authority purport to be in line with Rose and then continue to promote multi-cueing intervention programmes.

Gordon Brown continues to promote Reading Recovery which is absolutely not in line with the Rose recommendations.

We have even heard on this forum of Reading Recovery being started as soon as in reception.

Please support this thread and tell us what seems to be going on in your authorities.

Also, please report how you feel about this even if you are not aware of any practice in your local authority.

3. Trouble is Debbie, that LAs are having government money thrown at them to appoint ECAR consultants and visits from the Primary strategy heavy mobs to make sure they implement the RR type programmes.

How can an LA say "no, we don't want your money and we won't do what you say" in relation to RR and ECAR?

They do as they're told.

Even if they were very well-informed (which they're not) and very altruistic and courageous (which let's face it they are not famous for) how can they resist government pressure on this?

Perhaps we need to give them a Plan B to fall back on.

How about, we'll take the cash, appoint a consultant, and make their job one of going round ensuring that no child needs an intervention programme because all schools are fully supported in implementing the Rose report recommendations fully and properly with sound SP programmes?

Any takers?

4. Greenwich ran an ad for teachers wanting to be trained in RR just a couple of weeks ago.

5. I am suggesting that schools where it the importance of the Rose Report and its recommendations are understood make simple statements to staff, local authority advisers and parents:

"In this school we don't teach guessing the words."

My niece has resorted to saying to her daughter's school, "I don't anyone teach or tell my daughter to guess the words."

(I haven't put her up to it! LOL)

6. My friend is a reading recovery teacher in Manchester.

7. sneddy - do you know if your friend has had any change to her training instructions regarding how to remediate reading to be in line with the Rose recommendations please?

And if so, what has she been instructed and by whom?

If you manage to ask this would be very helpful information.

Thank you so much.

8. This isn't so relevant to the question but recently a remedial colleague at a private school telephoned me in distress to say that one of her carefully nurtured SP- taught decoders had moved up a class and was in the hands of a Reading Recovery teacher. He'd forgotten all his decoding, was no longer practising blending (which he still needed to practise), and was employing the Reading Recovery trademark instruction - you've guessed it - GUESSING.
    Like many others, she can't say anything, for fear of losing her part-time job.

9. In our area we are definitely promoting it, have been on two courses and it was stated quite clearly that there would be no more guessing of words. Searchlights is out!

Told two ways to help children to be better readers. If children don't know how to decode words we use phonics (letters and sounds) if they can read well and decode words but not understand the text then we need to invervene with more 'taught' comprehension type activities.

10. I'm not sure. I do remember her saying that what she does goes against current advice, but that was a few months ago.

I won't see her for a while as she's away at the weekends, but I'll ask next time I see her and will post back. :)

11. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Debbie I suggest you take a look at the Every Child a Reader initiative which is government backed.

"Every Child A Reader and Reading Recovery

Every Child a Reader is a three-year project (2005 - 2008) to get as many children on Reading Recovery as possible."

12. Msz

"Every Child A Reader is a unique collaboration between charitable trusts, the business sector and government. It aims to show that, with the right resources, it is possible to overcome the literacy difficulties that blight so many children's lives.

The initiative is funding highly-skilled Reading Recovery teachers in inner-city schools, to provide intensive help to children most in need. It forms part of the government's London Challenge, a partnership between all who seek more for London's young people. "

13. cally4

cally4 New commenter

My school does the OWL scheme which appears to contradict aspects in the rose report. I personally hate it anyway.But the SENCO PUSHES IT.literacy advisor trains the TAs and recently ticked one off for daring to question the guess the word, look at the picture etc strategies used.

14. 000

My school does not fully subscribe to the new 'recommendations.' They recognise each child learns in a different way and we are encouraged to respond to this. We couldn't care less what LA advises - we do the best for our children.

15. Msz,

The ECAR material tells absolutely nothing about how they implement the recommendations of the Rose Report.

The Teachers'TV clips (which I mentioned on another thread) and Marie Clay's book (which I have read) provide no evidence that RR has changed its methodology in any way.

16. Msz

Maizie I haven't suggested that Reading Recovery has changed in anyway only that the government is supporting this initiative for Inner City schools.

17. in our school (Kent) there is a programme of ELS which runs for two sets of 6 Year 1 children from January. As far as I can see, this is the original material and has certainly not been updated in light of the Rose Report.

18. 000 - each child may learn in a different way, but WHAT they need to learn remains constant - and that is the English Alphabet Code and the skills of blending for reading and segmenting for spelling.

19. 000

Yes, and they are taught that. Alongside other strategies. Some children are developmentally unable to blend as yet, however they can access simple texts by using other strategies.

20. Very well expressed, Helikettle:
    'each child may learn in a different way, but WHAT they need to learn remains constant - and that is the English Alphabet Code and the skills of blending for reading and segmenting for spelling.'
    this should be writ large in all Early Years classrooms...

The point about ECAR and Synthetic Phonics is that they are totally incompatible and yet each is recommended by the former DfES.

What does the government actually want teachers to do? And do they really approve of 'catch-up' teaching that costs an arm and a leg? Why not cut the numbers in Reception and Year l instead and make sure that struggling readers are given the extra one-to-one or small group practice in the skills they so desperately need.