1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please recommend something light

Discussion in 'Personal' started by perdita, Nov 27, 2011.

1. I've just finished reading Of Mice and Men, The audio book I'm listening to is about the Kinder Transport and I've just watched a film about female SOE agents being dropped into Nazi occupied France. I'm thoroughly depressed and in need of something light hearted, funny or feel good. Any suggestions?

2. v12

v12

I'm currently listening to old recordings of 'The Sunday Format' - very funny, but I'm not sure where they might be found now, perhaps in the BBC Shop?

3. Not heard of this - is a radio 4 type thing? some of those are very silly - in a good way

4. Just finished No Country for Old Men and now reading Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl- and just watched a gruelling drama- ? from London to Brighton ? and now looking for a bit of easy comedy to ease me into sleep...

5. Mrs_Frog

Mrs_Frog New commenter

Reading wise, how about one of Joanne Harris' novels (Not 'Sleep Pale Sister' or 'Gentlemen Players' - I think thats whats its called....) Chocolat is a nice one. Mind you, being one who reads all sorts....the True Blood series is an easy read, if you like modern vampires etc. Complete tosh, but very enjoyable and very easy to read.....
    I apologise for my tastes!

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

Janet Evanovitch's Stephanie Plum series, starting with the first one, One for the Money. Light but good and very funny. Any other fans out there?

7. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

Malcolm Price, Aberystwith mon amour.

8. dusty67

dusty67 New commenter

I agree! Her early books are really funny and a good read. I recommend them to everyone (but I think she started to tail off about book 10), as did John Snow during the BBC book week series.

9. At the moment I am reading Mister Monday by Garth Nix. I have also just read The hunger games by Suzanne collins plus another trilogy by Garth nix called Abhorsen trilogy.
    I know they have all been written with teenagers in mind but I loved them all. So imaginative and well written
    Give them a try!!

10. I agree - Stephanie Plum novels are funny - up to about 11, then they're ok, but feel a bit rushed. I read the 18th one yesterday, and there were funny moments, but the earlier ones are laugh out loud funny. The first is the darkest.

I like Jennifer Crusie too, Fast Women, or Bet Me, or Agnes and the Hitman (my personal favourite at present)

Bill Bryson is light and entertaining in his travel books, and his others are good too, but require more thought.

11. hi Perdita - I thoroughly recommend David Sedaris. try the Santaland Diaries as it's seasonal. He writes humorous autobiographical essays. Here's a wee excerpt - try before you buy:
    listen

12. Just finished the Guernsey Literary And Potato Peel Pie Society - enchanting! (very sad in places though)

13. inky

inky Lead commenter

Darkest? Really? Hirarious, more likely.

Nobody has mentioned that the S Plum books contain the two hottest heroes imaginable. To this day, I look for Morellis and Rangers on the tube...

14. jonkers

jonkers New commenter

Bleak Expectations are very funny if you enjoy audiobooks. I have had several long journeys that have gone by in no time at all whilst listening to these CDs.