1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please recommend a good atlas

Discussion in 'Geography' started by asnac, Jul 6, 2013.

1. asnac

asnac Established commenter

I teach upper KS2 and we've got a whole load of Oxford Primary Atlases. We can't get rid of them as they're quite new but it's a pain to use them as they're excessively simplistic (only a very few countries are shown in anything other than a snapshot of the whole continent) , and more crucially the index is incomplete (the whole index is only 3 pages), so if I tell the children to find a town that appears on a map, e.g. Louisville, they have no way of doing this independently, I have to tell them where it is which is not exactly a model of good use of an atlas.

I want to get a few atlases in the classroom that have a higher standard - what would secondary teachers recommend?

2. Hi, I'm from the Secondary Geography team at OUP.

You might be interested to know that there is a more recent edition of the Oxford School Atlas available ( ukcatalogue.oup.com/.../9780199137022.do ). This was fully updated in 2012 and is suitable for ages 10-14, so might be more suitable for your upper KS2 pupils. For example, there are 5 pages of index, and Louisville is included!

3. Hi, I would highly recommend the Longman Student Atlas, by Pearson in association with GA. ISBN 0-582-85441-5 It has notes , pictures of places and regions, Map skills and so much more.Student friendly for KS3 to 5. It would certainly challenge and stretch you little ones too!!

4. asnac

asnac Established commenter

Thanks, I've had a look at this on Amazon. It's probably a bit 'heavy' for my children in terms of the articles, but certainly it's got a proper index.

The main thing I want from an atlas is for my pupils to know where things are, and if they don't know, to find them easily, and primary atlases just don't cut the mustard.