1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please put "Dear Theo" as part of your title if you would like an answer

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by TheoGriff, Oct 5, 2009.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I am now back on a regular basis answering your queries as best I can.
    If you'd like me to reply to your post, remember to put "Dear Theo" as part of your title. Dear Theo: how do I present supply work positively? Dear Theo: help, no outside interests!
    I sometimes open other threads, but as a general rule don't open every one on the off chance that you've put Dear Theo inside.
    See you!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

4. Dear Theo: Personal/Supporting Statements - how do I get mine noticed?
    I have applied for several positions over the last few months. I have been offered one interview and was told that my application and supporting statement were strong, but did not get the job. However, the feedback was helpful but I have not had the opportunity to put this right. I gave a copy of my personal/supporting statement to my then personal tutor who said it was 'wordy' - but with no real suggestions as to how to make it stand out. My husband said the statement was anything but personal - he said it didn't convey my personality. My questions to you are Q1: What is meant by 'wordy' and how do I rectify this? Q2: How do you inject your personality into a personal statement that has to address specific criteria as to how you can perform in the classroom?
    Already looked at your 'How to get shortlisted' and 'So why didn't we shortlist you?' advice sections - followed these except the executive summary, which I am now proposing to do for my next application which is to an independent school (Catholic). Any other advice you can give me - the closing date is Friday 6th November and I am looking around the school tomorrow (Tuesday) have been looking over the threads re visits and think I am following the correct pattern, am also doing supply work but the schools I am being placed in are far removed from a Catholic Independent school - will this go against me? I am aware that the pressures are quite different given the background and demographics of the school.

Regards
    Look forward to reading your response.

Di.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Reminder

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Just to jog your memories . . .

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

And another reminder . . . I can't guarantee to open them if not!

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

a quick reminder

10. "Dear Theo"
    I have been off sick for stress for a few weeks. Stress due to management wich verges on the bullying. I am afraid to go back for fear that management could get aggressive about my absence. All my medical certificate are in order.
    In the meantime, following also union advice, I have applyed for other jobs in a desparate bid to get out of that school.

If I get interviews, and I am still off sick, what cnaces rae there that I'll be offered a position?
    What do I need to say at my interview regarding my present situation at my school?
    I have been adviced to ask you these questions. As I am new to forums I hope that I have done this properly and that you'll be able too answer. Thank you

11. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

You have correctly started Dear Theo, but you need to start a new thread as he doesn't often look back at previous threads.

12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

ups-a-daisy

13. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Remember . . .

14. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Quick reminder! (It does say it at the top of the Forum . . .)

15. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

16. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

17. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

18. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

19. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

20. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Bump
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com