1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please make my lesson more exciting

Discussion in 'Primary' started by paul_mc1, Jan 16, 2012.

1. paul_mc1

paul_mc1 New commenter

I'm ordering numbers to 100 tomorrow and placing them on a number line. HA are ordering numbers to 1000 (Year 2 by the way!!!). Can anyone suggest a way of making this in the least bit interesting? Any help would be greatly appreciated and make my Monday evening a little less stressful.

Thanks in advance

2. paul_mc1

paul_mc1 New commenter

I'm ordering numbers to 100 tomorrow and placing them on a number line. HA are ordering numbers to 1000 (Year 2 by the way!!!). Can anyone suggest a way of making this in the least bit interesting? Any help would be greatly appreciated and make my Monday evening a little less stressful.

Thanks in advance

3. Kelloggs

Kelloggs New commenter

Could they do it as either a race in the hall, or playground? Or beat the clock?

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

What about putting labels on the children themselves and asking them to make a human numberline?

5. paul_mc1

paul_mc1 New commenter

Thank you both for your ideas - they are much more exciting than my ideas, thanks for your time!!!!!

6. thepinkrachael

thepinkrachael New commenter

My top Yr 1s have just done this, and I gave them carpet tiles to 100 in a small group and they had to find a way to order them together - the team work aspect alone proved a challenge and made them all so excited to do it. We have also done ordering non-sequential numbers using 0-100 cards, play with a partner: one picks out 3 cards, if the other puts them in the right order they keep the cards, if not the first child does, then swap. One with most cards keeps them. Human numberline as already mentioned. Um, fishing magnetic numbers out of water using nets, making the biggest number you can and seeing if your friend can beat it - they loved this, but it's more problem solving and comparing than ordering I suppose. We did ordering to 20 using number cards in the centre of a circle, worked in pairs and they had to collect the cards in order by running one at a time to the centre to collect the next card - again they loved the challenge and good for team work. Obviously might take a bit long to do to 100, but if you showed them the random numbers that were in there they would be able to orally order in pairs then find and order them, or do just a section, from 50-70 or something like that? Follow me with each child having several number cards and having to shout out the number in the correct place - could combine this with beating the clock - getting faster at doing it?
    Some of these might be more applicable than others, but hope they help!