1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please Help!!!

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Marsh90, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Marsh90

Marsh90 New commenter

I'm feeling so deflated at the moment. I really don't know what to do!
    The head has known since November that I'm leaving as I was successful in an interview and obtaining a position within the Borough but a different department. Anyway, because of start dates i gave my notice in 3 weeks ago today which would mean that my contract ends next Tuesday the 3rd. I told new company, but they accidentally got mixed up and put me on the rota for the 2nd, 2 days before I was supposed to start. Anyways, i put a wellbeing day request in for the 3rd so i said that i can start on that day. Headteachers didn't get back to me until yesterday that my wellbeing day request was rejected. Since September I've requested 3 different dates for my wellbeing day but they have all been rejected. Making sure there is nothing planned that day but they have still been rejected! Everyone else has had their wellbeing day!! Also, I've done more staff meetings than necessary and I've done 4.5 hours Twilight for a day off in July, which obviously I won't be there for anyway! The head is obviously miffed that I'm leaving but I don't think she is being fair! Oh also, my replacement has been on hand from the get go and can start ANY time but she is telling everyone she hasn't found a replacement. But I'm in touch with the supply that she is having to replace me! Sorry its long winded. I now have a headache! Any help would be super appreciated!!!

2. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

Cut your loses and phone in sick, the week before you're due to leave. There's no gratitude these days for being hard-working. Good luck with your new job!

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  3. Marsh90

Marsh90 New commenter

Everyone is telling me to do that! I wanna do the right thing . I wish I was more head strong but I'm just shy Everyone is so shocked that she's even making me do the Monday! When my coworker handed her notice in, she said she could leave the same day!!! I'm just so ****** off. I cried leaving work! She is why I'm leaving!

4. annie2020

annie2020 New commenter

All the more reason to be 'off sick'.

Catgirl1964 and MathMan1 like this.
  5. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

You have only two options.

Either tell the new job you can’t start until a couple of days later, or just email your HT and tell them you’re leaving on the 1st (or whatever day it needs to be) and are very sorry that you cannot fulfil the regular notice period. There’s nothing they can do about it.

Don’t ring in sick. It could make you look dishonest to your new employer and potentially cause problems you don’t need.

Catgirl1964 and sunshineneeded like this.
  6. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

I agree with @Pomza. Whichever of the two options you decide on, I'd be honest - sometimes even little white lies can catch you out! They might be annoyed but there's nothing they can do if you email to say you're sorry you are unable to fulfil the final few days of your notice period and will be finishing on friday 28th. Best of luck with the new job!

Pomza likes this.
  7. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

Unless you are genuinely sick and can't help it!

If you are the type of person that can't do it, flow @Pomza advice.
    I would write a letter to her and the governors explaining the situation and apologising for the earlier leaving date.
    Address it to her and the governors.
    Good luck!