1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by 0612692, Mar 26, 2011.

1. My mentor is coming in to observe a PE lesson next week. The PE lesson is on tennis and the whole year group (we are four form entry) uses a DVD to teach it. I asked her should I not use the DVD and she said do what you would normally do. I am shocking at tennis so I have enjoyed using the DVD but how would my mentor be able to observe me if I'm using the DVD?

2. My mentor is coming in to observe a PE lesson next week. The PE lesson is on tennis and the whole year group (we are four form entry) uses a DVD to teach it. I asked her should I not use the DVD and she said do what you would normally do. I am shocking at tennis so I have enjoyed using the DVD but how would my mentor be able to observe me if I'm using the DVD?

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Senior commenter

I'm assuming you don't just sit and watch a DVD for the whole lesson?

Pick a teaching point from the DVD, it might be the stroke you want to focus on, foot placement, ball control, anything really as long as it becomes the focus for your lesson. Watch the DVD and comment on the key points, ask the children for their ideas and opinions, what do they think, why do you do the stroke/place your feet/tilt the raquet head in such a way, what will the impact be of not doing so etc. Then go out and put the learning into practice, model what you have seen on the dvd, this is what your mentor will be focussing on, how you apply the skill you have been studying and how YOU ensure the children have grasped the point

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'd agree with your mentor to do what you would usually do. Nothing wrong in using a DVD to teach skills, so long as the children do get to pick up a racquet and hit a ball a some point in the lesson.

You do need to do what your year group does and what you normally do.