1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please help

Discussion in 'Primary' started by elle-jay06, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,

I am currently teaching primary 5 (9-10 year olds).

Big writing has has a huge impact on attainment & most pupils are engaged.
    I have a class of 31! During writing the same children keep forgetting capital letters & full stops. Its a large class & it can be difficult to get round them all! There are a couple of children who still struggle with CL & FS eventhough then use much more sophisticated punctuation correctly!

Can anyone please help?

Thank in advance

2. Wow! I teach Year 6 and we (4 parallel classes) are having exactly the same problem! Last week I took my class to the ICT Lab and asked them to find a game that would test their knowledge of how to use CL & FS. As they were playing the children were achieving 10/10. During a quick feedback break after about 10mins of playing the children said they found the activity boring and complained that they already know how to do this. So we went back to the class and they looked at their last Big Writing activity and Science experiment and checked their usage of CL & FS - shock, horror!
    Since the current practices clearly aren't working, <u>and I can't send my class to secondary without being able to use CL & FS</u> they are now having to completely re-write each piece of work where these punctuation marks are not used correctly.
    They are desperate to write well and not to re-write their work. Either I mark or they mark each others work using coloured highlighters (green = good, orange = ok, pink = not acceptable) and if they have more than 5 pink marks a re-write is in progress.
    I have to say that I hate asking children to re-write their work but unless someone comes up with an alternative this is working so far.
    Any further suggestions?!
    Liz