1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Lara mfl 05, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Yes, Primary school applications are up whilst secondary ones are down.
    There are many students who have completed their courses who have still not found jobs 3 years after qualifying. Just read some of the posts on Unemployed teachers, Student & Jobseeker's forums!
    Getting into Primary School teaching IS tough these days!
    So you have to decide-is it that you want to teach so badly, you're prepared for all the heartache of studying & possibly qualifying with no job at the end of it?
    In which case you have to try, as you'll be unhappy unless you did it.
    But if the answer is no, you might want to postpone the idea for a few years until the job market for Primary teachers is a little less competitive. Remember too the government is in the process of changing rules on retirement & many teachers who thought they could retire are going to have to work until they're 65/ 66 /67!

2. I don't have a degree unfortunately, getting into uni is so difficult now. I will keep trying though if not I will have to find another route to go down.

3. You'd think that because education is so important now they would bend the rules a bit, thank you for the advice!

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

You're not falling for that government hype bout there being a teacher shortage are you? This may be true of Secondary-though I'm not convinced of that, BUT it is definitely true that there is a surplus of trained Primary teachers at present.
    How could they 'bend the rules'?

5. They could expand the amount of students doing a teaching degree or actually give people like me a chance. I've been doing voluntary work in a local primary school for a year and a lot of people doing the course don't have much experience under their belts.
    They only want A grade students now, which is fair enough but when there are people that don't have A's that are willing to make sacrifices and put in the hard work - that is what annoys me.

6. DFC

DFC New commenter

Have you considered the Open University?

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

You need a degree before you can do a PGCE so that route isn't an option I'm afraid.
    but there are no jobs for those already qualified so creating more unemployed teachers doesn'r seem to be a good idea does it...

8. What chance would they be giving you though? There are far too many primary teachers compared to the number of jobs. What would be the point in training even more than that?

9. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

I'm afraid I agree with the posters above. There are many, many teachers, with degrees, far better qualified than you are who can't get work - some of them three years after qualifying. Why should they "bend the rules"?

10. Reading the OP again.....you don't have a degree. Applying for a PGCE is actually wasting your time!

11. I'm an A grade student, with an education degree, I've been teaching a full time table for two years (whole class PPA cover) and I've been class sharing with the deputy head for a day and a half each week. I coordinate a subject, run 2 after school clubs and one of my lessons was recently observed as 'outstanding' by ofsted. I can't get on a PGCE either! [​IMG]

Just wanted to let you know how tough it really is!

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'd be appalled if they lowered entry standards in order to train more teachers. The country doesn't need more primary teachers, it actually needs fewer.

If you can't get on a course, look at why you haven't and address those issues. If people with less experience than you are getting on then look at what else might be wrong. Yes the profession does want highly intelligent teachers (not necessarily A grade, but certainly educated) and rightly so.

13. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Meant to write, you could try getting a post as a TA and then doing a part time programme to train.