1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please help....

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by darren50, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Hi guys,
    I'm currently teaching ICT on long term supply in a Welsh School. It is half of timetable with the other half being taken up by general cover.
    However, I want to look into media studies and what it involves. For the majority of the lessons the classes seem to work on the Apple Macs and i'm just thinking am I qualified to teach this as its an area that interested me. Also, there is a job going at the school.
    I am a NQTand the job that is going is Head of Media, I know this is probably too high up for me but the advert says:
    We require for
    September 2011 an energetic and enthusiastic graduate who is able to
    lead a thriving department. You must be vibrant, care about pupils and
    their personal and academic progress and be willing to lead by example.
    You will be an excellent practitioner, keen to motivate and inspire
    your department.
    What do everyone think? Would I have a chance if I showed a keen interest now? Also, how would I find out what it involves etc?
    I look forward to your advice.
    Darren

2. Hi guys,
    I'm currently teaching ICT on long term supply in a Welsh School. It is half of timetable with the other half being taken up by general cover.
    However, I want to look into media studies and what it involves. For the majority of the lessons the classes seem to work on the Apple Macs and i'm just thinking am I qualified to teach this as its an area that interested me. Also, there is a job going at the school.
    I am a NQTand the job that is going is Head of Media, I know this is probably too high up for me but the advert says:
    We require for
    September 2011 an energetic and enthusiastic graduate who is able to
    lead a thriving department. You must be vibrant, care about pupils and
    their personal and academic progress and be willing to lead by example.
    You will be an excellent practitioner, keen to motivate and inspire
    your department.
    What do everyone think? Would I have a chance if I showed a keen interest now? Also, how would I find out what it involves etc?
    I look forward to your advice.
    Darren

3. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

There is nothing to stop you, as an NQT asking for more details and then applying if you think you match the job spec. However, bear in mind
    Does not necessarily mean recent graduate.

Could suggest evidence of previous experience is needed.

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I'm afraid there's far more to teaching media studies than being able to teach ICT and your naivete in this respect is indicative of how little use you're likely to be as Head of media studies.

5. Honestly? Based on what you have written? very slim for a number of reasons.