1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PLease help Yr. 4 Narrative- historical stories linked to Tudors.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by peepo, Sep 30, 2008.

1. peepo

peepo New commenter

Can anyone help please? Would really appreciate a peek at anyone's planning.

gem.r@hotmail.co.uk

I'm planning this unit from scratch- It's taking sooo long to plan each week. It's the first time in year 4 and first time using new framework. Have texts- Pig called Henry -Karen Wallace and various Tudor setting stories by Terry Deary.

How many books do you read in Phase 1? Mine are all fairly short so don't have ;longer one as suggested to tie in with Tudors-

First one 'Pig called Henry' was started in guided reading and will be finished half way through first week in lesson time.

have first 3 days planned- 1.Reading first few pages again, noting Historical features together- then groups have extracts from other books to complete clue chart.2. looking at settings- how author paints vivid picture- Market scene - Children write own descriptions of a familiar setting .3. Hvaing read one whole book and extracts from 3 others- draw together features of historical texts + Some word level work included on past tenses and used as activity in groups.

Phase 1 includes character sketch- Will use Old Ma Knucklebone as character we look at together from our first book. Will highlight how author uses powerful verbs to describe how she says things etc. as well as visual descriptions to paint a vivid picture of the character.

going to ask children to write own about Elizabeth 1 drawing info from Terry Deary's 'Actor rebel and wrinkled Queen'- It starts with very good description of the queen.

Would like to know how much sentence and word level work everyone else is doing?

Any help would be much appreciated just to see if am on right track!

Thanks

2. smilelikeyoumeanit

smilelikeyoumeanit New commenter

Have emailed plans. Hope they are helpful. x

3. Smilielikeyoumeanit - are you still looking at this thread? Could you please email me your plans too? I'm trying for ideas, and I love history - but I'm running a blank....

indigo_pie@hotmail.com

4. Hi sorry to bother you, am hoping that you still have tudor literacy plans and if possible could you email them to me. I realise that this is an old thread so not too optimistic. Many Thanks

Katy Cameron
    ilifffeili1wy@supanet.com

5. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Can I just say, I found this topic very difficult to plan and we ended up getting in a Tudor storytelling person, because the books we looked at were all just ****. Storytelling worked very well, the children were able to retell/re-enact story, then create their own on a similar theme. Do a quick google and see what storytellers are working in your area!

6. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

I do playscripts for this unit and the children do well. Lots of good drama opportunities. We used Let's go to London. I do historical settings in WW2 topic as I think the children can relate more to an evacuee child's experience.

7. Hi,

It is possible that you could email me your plans too. I'd be very grateful indeed!

Many thanks.

elin1.5.86@hotmail.com

8. Hi love the ideas do you have any plans, new to year four and want to link Tudors to english planning
    Louise

9. I'm new to Year 4 too and hadn't heard of that book. I was thinking about using The Time Travelling Cat and the Tudor Treasure. Would really appreciate having a look at your plans if you don't mind sharing. Thank you very much. :)

teragram@yahoo.co.uk

10. reddevil

reddevil New commenter

Hi
    Can I jump on the bandwagon and ask if I could see your plans too please smile mandy.taylor@virgin.net
    Thanks in advance

11. I would be very grateful if you could email your plans about the Tudors
    Dorothy

12. Hi. I'm new to primary and Y4 and have been struggling with this. Is there any chance you could email me the plans etc.
    Many thanks
    Gemma
    clarinetgemma@hotmail.com

13. Hi All,

I had a year 3/4 class this year and we did the Tudors for the whole of the spring term because there is lots to investigate etc.

For our literacy unit we used the text - The Queen's Token by Pamela Oldfield. It's a great Tudor story and quite simple to follow. I taught my class the whole book by storymapping with symbols and they still remember it nowadays!!!

14. Please can i have a copy of these plans? I have trying to link in Tudors to historical stories and its taking me ages.
    bjohnson22@hotmail.co.uk
    Thank you x

15. Firerose

Firerose New commenter

As mentioned about, I did play scripts when I taught Tudors in Year 4. However, I did historical stories and Tudors in my first year and we read Gloriana: An Elizabethan Story
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gloriana-Elizabethan-Story-Pelican-Books/dp/0582539927

I have it on a Pelican CDRom but seems you might get it from Amazon. It fits beautifully, has all the features of a historical text. x

16. Hi all!

Im hoping you can be my life saver! It my first teaching job and i have year 4 in september. Im trying to link our tudors topic to our Stories in Historical setting unit and its taking me forever! I just found this link and I know its old but was REALLY hoping someone wouldnt mind sending me the plans you have sent so many others :)

Any help would be really appreciated!

If anyone doesnt mind, could you send me the plans you used?

ash_singapore@hotmail.com

Thank you so much!

17. Hi if anyone has got any plans linked to Tudors and stories with historical settings please can you forward them to me.

becca.george21@hotmail.co.uk

Much appreciated

18. Hi I've been struggling too linking this unit in with the tudors. I'd really appreciate it if someone could email me any planning too for help?

Thank you

hannahberry123@hotmail.com