1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please help ...Year 6 Literacy Plan

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Excellenteacher, Nov 19, 2011.

1. The headteacher (unqualified in a private school) told me that the mid term plan is below the standard. He does not have any teaching training/experience.
    He observed my lesson from the teaching sequence and gave me a worst feedback. He does not know that the core skills strands 5,6 and 11 are going to be taught through out the year in every unit of literacy year 6.
    Strand 5 – Word Recognition: decoding (reading) and encoding (spelling) at KS1 Strand 6 – Word Structure and Spelling at KS2. Strand 11 – Sentence Structure and Punctuation at both key stages.

Can someone please read my plan. I would be grateful.

2. lilykitty

lilykitty New commenter

This sounds as if you have no respect for him or his leadership, but he is your boss. He must have some skills or experience to have got the job, even if they are not immediately evident to you. And you chose to work for him.
    So why didn't you tell him?
    It's always upsetting to get bad feedback and it can be hard to think of the right things to say there and then, leaving you feeling as though you haven't put your case across. I'm not sure that getting people on the forum to look at your planning would help, but talking to a colleague or the literacy co-ordinator and comparing your planning with theirs might be useful. If you really feel that he has missed something when observing you, make an appointment to meet with him again and present the information that wasn't clear to him previously.
    However, I think you need to reflect on your attitude to him. Ultimately, you are choosing to work under his leadership. There does come a point where you need to either respect that or move on.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Having just responded to another post from you about the same observation, I have to agree with this point entirely.
    Lots of HTs in private schools are not qualified teachers, this doesn't mean they don't have the experience and knowledge as to what makes a good lesson and a good lesson plan.

No-one can really say whether you plan is up to the standard expected by your school. Nor can we know what the HT knows and doesn't know. Nor do we know if the lesson reflected the plan.

Think through the criticisms and then formulate a plan to ensure that the same cannot be made next time your HT observes. Are there other teachers whose planning you can look at? Are there other teachers you can observe? Can you offer to produce a whole school planning format? Can you recommend the school purchases a scheme, or at least resources and a guide from one to ensure coverage over the year?