1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PLEASE HELP! (Y2) Identify physical and human features of a place and how an island is different to a mainland.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by roddywoomble, Mar 13, 2012.

1. roddywoomble

roddywoomble New commenter

Hi everyone,

I'm wracking my brains to come up with the best lesson I possibly can for next Monday. It will be my last formal observation as a student and is what's known as the 'exit appraisal' at my uni. Basically, my mentor and uni tutor are coming into watch and I want this to be as close to a perfect lesson as I have ever managed. The objective (geography, obviously) is to 'Identify physical and human features of a place and how an island is different to a mainland.'
    I have a bit of time to resource this weekend (although I also need to do all my weekly plans, session plans, ensure files are perfect and prepare for my 'exit interview') and am happy to make this lesson really 'big' and take huge risks for it. The lesson is one hour long and will be on Monday morning. Recently, I've been doing lots of work with my year 2 class which involves them learning through discovery/active learning etc. I'd really like to do something which continues this and absolutely do not want to include the use of worksheets. The lesson is based around Katie Morag (I will read the story at the beginning of the session) but then I am free to follow my own direction. I've had a few ideas but can't seem to make them into a real wow lesson, so would appreciate some input. The ideas I've had up to now include:

- Transforming the classroom in some way which would allow children to search for these physical and human features (turn classroom into Struay - the island - somehow!! Any ideas welcome)

- Taking the children outside, into the playground, to find physical and human features (although this would be difficult).

- Having children explore and record their findings using ICT (USB microphones or a video camera).

- Going to the beach this weekend, myself and videoing parts of the local coastline for children to consider as physical and human features.

- Presenting children with some kind of mystery box on each table which they need to explore and do something with (not sure what I would do here yet).

- Setting up come kind of carousel activity where children could explore different things on different tables for 5 minutes at a time (non-worksheet based).

- Doing something with the higher ability children involving mantel of the expert: (where they become environmental agents or something) children researching and coming back to be questioned by the rest of the class for the plenary.

I'd really appreciate it if people took the time to reply to this. All ideas are welcome...I feel like I may already have the root of a good idea but need help to develop it!

Thanks,

Shane

2. roddywoomble

roddywoomble New commenter

Hi everyone,

I'm wracking my brains to come up with the best lesson I possibly can for next Monday. It will be my last formal observation as a student and is what's known as the 'exit appraisal' at my uni. Basically, my mentor and uni tutor are coming into watch and I want this to be as close to a perfect lesson as I have ever managed. The objective (geography, obviously) is to 'Identify physical and human features of a place and how an island is different to a mainland.'
    I have a bit of time to resource this weekend (although I also need to do all my weekly plans, session plans, ensure files are perfect and prepare for my 'exit interview') and am happy to make this lesson really 'big' and take huge risks for it. The lesson is one hour long and will be on Monday morning. Recently, I've been doing lots of work with my year 2 class which involves them learning through discovery/active learning etc. I'd really like to do something which continues this and absolutely do not want to include the use of worksheets. The lesson is based around Katie Morag (I will read the story at the beginning of the session) but then I am free to follow my own direction. I've had a few ideas but can't seem to make them into a real wow lesson, so would appreciate some input. The ideas I've had up to now include:

- Transforming the classroom in some way which would allow children to search for these physical and human features (turn classroom into Struay - the island - somehow!! Any ideas welcome)

- Taking the children outside, into the playground, to find physical and human features (although this would be difficult).

- Having children explore and record their findings using ICT (USB microphones or a video camera).

- Going to the beach this weekend, myself and videoing parts of the local coastline for children to consider as physical and human features.

- Presenting children with some kind of mystery box on each table which they need to explore and do something with (not sure what I would do here yet).

- Setting up come kind of carousel activity where children could explore different things on different tables for 5 minutes at a time (non-worksheet based).

- Doing something with the higher ability children involving mantel of the expert: (where they become environmental agents or something) children researching and coming back to be questioned by the rest of the class for the plenary.

I'd really appreciate it if people took the time to reply to this. All ideas are welcome...I feel like I may already have the root of a good idea but need help to develop it!

Thanks,

Shane

3. Just make sure you don't go referring to Struay as a real place [​IMG]
    Your ideas sound brilliant, though... I'm sure you'll come up with a cohesive plan.

4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

You could look at pictures of the Isle of Coll, on which Struay is based, and identify the human and physical features from aerial photographs and orrdnance survey maps

5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Or compare features on the island of Coll with features in your local environment-especially if it is very different!
    I have a folder of photos of Coll if they would help

6. queenlit

queenlit New commenter