1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

please help! What should guided writing look like?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by happycat23, Oct 11, 2009.

1. I am being observed in literacy and the focus will be guided writing. I am completely unsure what the observer will be expecting to see - will this be me at the front of the class and all of us writing together? I don't even know if I have ever done guided writing?

Please help! x

2. Shared writing is you with the whole class. Guided writing is with a small group where you focus on a particular aspect of writing. There is a video on teachers tv that you might find useful. If I get chance I will try to find the link.

3. http://www.teachers.tv/video/27406
    http://www.newton.derbyshire.sch.uk/docs/guidedwriting.doc

4. Guided writing - together lesson 1 shared reading then discuss the text. then activities based on it eg sentence level work
    Lesson 2 again share the text , move on to teacher modelling writing - you write an alternative,
    next part, add description depending on focus of the lessons. The children do not contribute.
    Lesson 3 this time children help you write the next part (shared writing)
    Lesson 4 children write own
    I use this model to build up independence.
    You work with a group and depending on the age of the children have whiteboards and work together to write a paragraph, while the other groups are working on the lessons focus eg speech, character development etc.

5. thanks so much! I will watch the video now! So now that i have spent a week with us familiarising ourseleves with the text (reading different texts and ideintfying the features of this text type) my next step is now to do guided writing? And for lesson 1 of guided writing would you read one text together as a whole class and then set independent work on it?

Sorry for sounding thick it's just that now i am being observed on a specific part of literacy it is making me question whether i am doing it right!

6. After the children have learned about the features of the text type the next step is preparing for writing through shared and guided writing. the first step in shared writing is modelling - the children watch as you write and you 'think out loud'. Personally I would use a model to write... So that you are writing 'in the style of', if that makes sense. So you could use a text that you have already read as a model.

Then you work with a group (this is guided writing) and focus on what they need to improve, so this could be word sentence or text level or speaking and listening. make sure you are clear about what you want them to achieve in this part - like a mini lesson. The video and other link should give you a clear picture.

You dont sound thick btw.

7. Basically yes, what year group, what is your focus - text level, sentence level that you are trying to teach.

8. thanks for the replies. It's year 4 and we are doing playscripts. I have spent a week reading different scripts and they have put actions and expressions to them. They then watched each other's and evaulated them. Next I would normally read a script as a whole class and have a go at writing the next part to the playscript together on the IWB (occasionally asking children to write the next line on a whteboard with a talking partner, then sharing ideas). However I dont know if this would count as 'guided writing' seeing as that is what i am supposed to be being observed on?!

9. sounds great, just then give children an independent task that is differenciated and you work with one of the groups. You are working on writing and you are guiding a group = guided writing, just remember to go and check on the other groups are they are task, as the observer will ask how you how you know the others were on task if you sit the whole time with the one group.

10. thank you! so one last question (promise!!) if i work with one group on writing the next part of the playscript should I allow the other groups to do this aswell or would i be better giving the other groups a task on apostrophes (as this is what I will be focusing on for my grammar this week?

11. I would have other groups doing playscript work. What is your learning objective? Other thing is to focus on a specific aspect of playscripts with your guided group,... Eg to use adverbs or to use stage directions. You could get your more able to pair write the next part of the playscrpit, others could find mistakes and edit eg insert brackets, colons, or they could insert adverbs. All depends on what your LO is.

12. All can write the next part to the playscript but differentiate by having low ability to have correct layout,eg character down the side then writing set out like a script, next group to remember not to include speech marks, and top group to add narration and stage direction. You work with one of the groups.
    Primary resources have check lists which I always use so if children are self assessing for your plenary you could always get the children to look down the check list and decide what they have included in their playscipts.

To keep the choldren on task and if the observer ask the children what they are doing I always crreate a must should could sheet for the wall and then have a typed copy stuck in the childrens book so they can keep glancing at the focus. It sounds a lt but dead easy and you just add a sentnece for each group.

LA
    LO - To write the next part of the playscript with the correct layout.

AA
    LO - To write the next part of the playscript with the correct layout. To use the correct punctuation (No speech marks!!)

UA

LO- To write the next part of the playscript with the correct layout. To use the correct punctuation (No speech marks!!) To use a narrator and stage direction.

Easy to do as just cut and paste, observers love it and you feel secure that all children have learning objective and all differentiatied.

13. thanks all of you, much appreciated! Observations always make me question what I'm doing (prob a good thing!)
    My learning goal will be to write the next part of a playscript. Thanks for the help [​IMG]

14. It is horrible and we all question ourselves, just be certain you know what all are doing and that all are learning. An advisor told me once that she always had a browsing group - where they were looking through playscripts and she gave them questions to answer to the class in the plenery - eg how are the scripts similar, find 3 difference between plays and myths etc. I used this for one of my groups during Ofsted once and they were fine with it.
    so if you just need something if children finish their work have some plays for them just to comment on, etc as an extension.

Good luck

15. Not to be picky but you say the learning goal is to write the next part of a playscript... This is the outcome, but you might want to consider making the LO more focussed.... What particular features of playscripts will you be looking for in this lesson. You wouldn't expect children to use all the features straight away, unless this is your last lesson in the unit. Just a suggestion. :)