1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please help - what can I ask of my supply teachers?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by mhjtr, Feb 20, 2012.

1. I have a member of staff off on long term sick (sick note being renewed every two or three weeks). Thankfully we have a good supply teacher in the class who has built a good relationship with the children. As time goes by, though, there is an increasing need for the wider role of class teacher to be adopted (i.e. termly assessments, parents' evening, staff meetings etc.). Can anyone tell me if I'm allowed to ask the supply teacher to take on this role as part of their supply work?

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Most supply teachers want a full-time, permanent post and would - in most cases - jump at the chance to give you very good reasons to write them an excellent reference (or give them a job, if one came up).

3. Can't you offer this good Teacher a temporary sick leave post? That way they would support all the duties you require & hopefully you are paid into an insurance scheme?

4. I agree with transilvanian and see if you can do a temp sick cover contract. If not i have in the past agreed to pay supply teachers for a couple of days each holiday so that they can plan and update trackers,