1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please help - trying to direct 'Joseph'!!!

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by resources4drama, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Remember that it is (intentionally) a show full of pastiches.

Therefore really milk the Elvis, the Western etc numbers.
    Are cast all boys?

2. joseph' is generally done with a main cast and a choir , who mostly sit but do things like hand jives - are you doing it like that? or will your choir be more of a chorus - singing and dancing?
    the choir music has some jolly high notes in it
    the pig of a song to learn is the colours one - you can divide the lyrics into groups to make it more manageable
    group 1: It was red and yellow and green and brown

And scarlet and black and ochre and peach
    group 2: And ruby and olive and violet and fawn

And lilac and gold and chocolate and mauve
    etc - down to
    ALL: And blue!
    the potiphar song is also difficult wrt diction as it goes so quickly
    is it an everyone-takes-part or an auditioned production?
    because it's pastiche/surreal, it has the advantage of needing minimal scenery!

3. oh - and also - the narrator has the hardest singing part, singing throughout the show with high and sustained notes and hardly needs to act
    the other main parts are not technically hard - they need decent, entertaining singers who can i act
    'canaan days' is supposed to be followed by an apache dance - well - depends on your dancers!

4. I agree with resources4drama
    think about mickeytaking the musical genres
    visualise in cliches- the french cafe, the 1920's high society charlestons.
    pastiche is the word!

5. I did Joseph last year and it was loads of fun. They learnt the songs first and then came together to choreograph. I worked through it chronologically and it worked well because they got used to running it through from the beginning doing a bit more for each rehearsal. I copied most of the dance moves from the Donny Osmond DVD and it helped the cast to watch this. There aren't many big dance numbers. I asked our gymnastics teacher to volunteer some students for Go Go Go Jo to do some flips which looked quite impressive and nicked some cheerleading moves for the Pharoah's song. I got the brothers to move around together as a group, they did the same actions most of the time. For Potipher I used some Lady Gaga influences for the dancers.
    We had 3 narrators and I dressed them the same, they shared the songs out but stayed on stage together all the time.
    For set I put stage blocks in a pyramid shape for Act one and wheeled a big pharoah on for Act 2.
    Good luck with it!