1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please help - transition day activities

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Bumblybee, Jun 30, 2012.

1. I'm currently covering maternity leave (having returned from mat leave myself 3 weeks ago). I am teaching a year 2 class and am taking the same class into their year 3 classroom for transition day on Monday (only found this out on Friday - had originally understood that their teacher would be coming in for the day). I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do with them. I've never taught ks2 (i've always been in reception), so it'll be the blind leading the blind in terms of how playtimes and lunchtimes work. I can't do any of the usual 'getting to know you' transition day activities as they already know their class teacher and me.
    If anybody has any suggestions I'd be very grateful! There'll be 35 in the class, no support and quite a few children who are currently 'testing' me in terms of finding out how far they can push boundaries.
    Thanks in advance,
    Bumbly

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I think I'd just not bother with transition stuff and just do whatever you would be doing with them if it wasn't transition morning, though in a different room.

Alternatively they could write a postcard to their new teacher saying what they want to achieve next year. Or things they have liked about this year and want to keep going with next year.

How well does their new teacher know them? My new class know me in the sense that can all say "Hello Miss Minnie", but I don't know them more than a few names at all. They could write/draw introductory something to pass on to her, telling her all about themselves.

Scroll down a page or two and there are transition day threads that have some great examples of activities that don't necessarily involve 'getting to know you'.

Can you email the person who will be their teacher and ask her what she would like?

3. Thanks minnieminx, I think I might have to stick to non transition activities. They are keeping the same teacher in year 3 as they have had in year 2 so they've had her for 2 terms. I'll have a look for the transition thread!