1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please help... Teaching 'The Tempest' to low ability year 8.

Discussion in 'English' started by happygirl1990, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Hi all, I'm currently an NQT and am faced with teaching 'The Tempest' to low ability year 8 for the next half term. If anyone has any ideas how to go about this I would be really thankful. Anything from SOW advice to practical approaches to Shakespeare! Thanks in advance :)

2. Hi all, I'm currently an NQT and am faced with teaching 'The Tempest' to low ability year 8 for the next half term. If anyone has any ideas how to go about this I would be really thankful. Anything from SOW advice to practical approaches to Shakespeare! Thanks in advance :)

3. I teach Midsummer Night's Dream to year 8 and some of them are of low ability. I usually use a shortened cartoon version of the story to get them used to the plot and main characters. We read it as a class and the children help to summarise each chapter/scene. Then we look at the real text (probably the main parts only) and read it through and discuss what it means. We then act these scenes out. Finally, we look at a good video version of the real language of Shakespeare. Hope this helps.

4. Do you have any copies of 'The Enchanted Island'? Its by Ian Serrailier (spelling?) and it tells some of the famous Shakespeare plays in modern prose - I've read that before with a low set to get to grips with the story and then just looked at a short scene in the original.
    I've always used the scene when Stephano and Trinculo arrive ashore as its funny and usually enjoyed.
    Also if your school has a DVD copy of the animated tales - its a bit old fashioned but shows the play in about 20 mins.

5. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Do you have to teach 'The Tempest'? It's not a play I'd choose for Yr 8 of any ability. Do they have any background in Shakespeare at all?
    I have to do a Shakespeare module with my very low ability 8s next term, too and I'm using The Mechanicals from 'The Dream' with a bit of 'Romeo and Juliet' thrown in.