1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please help - Sorry it's a long post.

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by JulesDH, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Please can you offer me some advice folks? I?m feeling so ill and the various opinions of Doctors in the last week have left me more confused then ever. My symptoms are; needing a wee ALL the time, very tender abdomen, total exhaustion and at the weekend my skin felt bruised all over. There is no severe or unbearable pain, just twinges near my pelvis bone; mostly to the right hand side. If my tummy was upset I would think I had food poisoning, it is that kind of exhaustion.
    Sorry this is long but basically?..
    I?ve been peeing a lot for over 5 weeks, no burning or stinging.
    Left it for 2 weeks then saw nurse; she did a sample which had blood and protein in it.
    I explained that all my samples show this; she gave me a course of trimethoprim and said she would send the sample off and get back to me if necessary.
    I didn?t hear anything and wasn?t feeling right so called in several days later to find that no one had looked at the results! The nurse grabbed me and did another urine test which showed the same; she asked me to do another early morning sample and take it in. By last Wednesday I was feeling so rotten I went to see a Doctor who didn?t look at the screen an was going to give me the same treatment again; thankfully I convinced him to look at my records and so he just gave me painkillers. The next day another Doctor saw me and said he thinks it?s pyelitis (I thought he said pyeritis but misheard) He gave me more antibiotics; he said that the sample showed no infection just blood but a kidney infection like pyelitis doesn?t show in urine samples. He said he would ask for a scan.

I thought I would start to feel better after a couple of days but by Saturday I was a wreck and called NHS direct, they sent me to out of hours clinic and the Doctor insisted that if my kidneys were infected I would be hospitalised and it would show in the urine sample; he said stop taking the antibiotics and fobbed me off. I rang NHS direct again when I got home and a lady Doctor spoke to me for much longer and advised me to continue with Cefalexin; I?ve followed her advice. She also said it could be a virus!

Various friends who have been nurses have said I must insist on full blood tests and that this is not right. The Doctor today would not listen to me and wasn?t going to d any tests; he tried to frighten me and angrily said ?DO you want me to send you to the hospital?? I replied yes if it meant I would get thorough tests. I explained that I am not idle and that I only want to be well enough to do my work and at the moment I hav no strength and have to stay in bed. He was a bit stunned that I said I wouldn?t mind going to the hospital and examined my tummy, he asked the nurse to come in to chaperone and she knows me well and hopefully it made the Dcotr realise that I?m not a total neurotic! He then invited the Doctor in who gave me antibiotics; I knowthis Doctor socially and I think the first Doctor was surprised to see we were on first name terms. I felt like I had been patronised until this point and resented that I feel so ill but had to fight to get simple blood tests. I think there are some doctors who don?t like educated white women but that?s another story???. I explained to the Doctor I know that other Doctors have said it can?t be a kidney infection and he was furious; he told the other Doctor to run a series of blood tests and said he would try and get me in for a scan sooner rather than later.

I was in there for 20 mins and feel like they are not taking me seriously because I?m not doubled over in pain. Two of the Doctors say ?What do you think it is?? I explained that in the pelvis area it could be a whole host of things and I don?t want to keep taking random drugs in the hope it might be the right treatment. I felt as though they were implying I am unstable and were assessing my mental state.

I feel like I am going to have to make a nuisance of myself to get it sorted; is this normal? Can anyone tell me if they have felt like this?
    I feel ghastly and don't to be off work; most of my work is self emplyed so I'm really not angling for time off. :eek:(

2. Please can you offer me some advice folks? I?m feeling so ill and the various opinions of Doctors in the last week have left me more confused then ever. My symptoms are; needing a wee ALL the time, very tender abdomen, total exhaustion and at the weekend my skin felt bruised all over. There is no severe or unbearable pain, just twinges near my pelvis bone; mostly to the right hand side. If my tummy was upset I would think I had food poisoning, it is that kind of exhaustion.
    Sorry this is long but basically?..
    I?ve been peeing a lot for over 5 weeks, no burning or stinging.
    Left it for 2 weeks then saw nurse; she did a sample which had blood and protein in it.
    I explained that all my samples show this; she gave me a course of trimethoprim and said she would send the sample off and get back to me if necessary.
    I didn?t hear anything and wasn?t feeling right so called in several days later to find that no one had looked at the results! The nurse grabbed me and did another urine test which showed the same; she asked me to do another early morning sample and take it in. By last Wednesday I was feeling so rotten I went to see a Doctor who didn?t look at the screen an was going to give me the same treatment again; thankfully I convinced him to look at my records and so he just gave me painkillers. The next day another Doctor saw me and said he thinks it?s pyelitis (I thought he said pyeritis but misheard) He gave me more antibiotics; he said that the sample showed no infection just blood but a kidney infection like pyelitis doesn?t show in urine samples. He said he would ask for a scan.

I thought I would start to feel better after a couple of days but by Saturday I was a wreck and called NHS direct, they sent me to out of hours clinic and the Doctor insisted that if my kidneys were infected I would be hospitalised and it would show in the urine sample; he said stop taking the antibiotics and fobbed me off. I rang NHS direct again when I got home and a lady Doctor spoke to me for much longer and advised me to continue with Cefalexin; I?ve followed her advice. She also said it could be a virus!

Various friends who have been nurses have said I must insist on full blood tests and that this is not right. The Doctor today would not listen to me and wasn?t going to d any tests; he tried to frighten me and angrily said ?DO you want me to send you to the hospital?? I replied yes if it meant I would get thorough tests. I explained that I am not idle and that I only want to be well enough to do my work and at the moment I hav no strength and have to stay in bed. He was a bit stunned that I said I wouldn?t mind going to the hospital and examined my tummy, he asked the nurse to come in to chaperone and she knows me well and hopefully it made the Dcotr realise that I?m not a total neurotic! He then invited the Doctor in who gave me antibiotics; I knowthis Doctor socially and I think the first Doctor was surprised to see we were on first name terms. I felt like I had been patronised until this point and resented that I feel so ill but had to fight to get simple blood tests. I think there are some doctors who don?t like educated white women but that?s another story???. I explained to the Doctor I know that other Doctors have said it can?t be a kidney infection and he was furious; he told the other Doctor to run a series of blood tests and said he would try and get me in for a scan sooner rather than later.

I was in there for 20 mins and feel like they are not taking me seriously because I?m not doubled over in pain. Two of the Doctors say ?What do you think it is?? I explained that in the pelvis area it could be a whole host of things and I don?t want to keep taking random drugs in the hope it might be the right treatment. I felt as though they were implying I am unstable and were assessing my mental state.

I feel like I am going to have to make a nuisance of myself to get it sorted; is this normal? Can anyone tell me if they have felt like this?
    I feel ghastly and don't to be off work; most of my work is self emplyed so I'm really not angling for time off. :eek:(

3. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Sounds like a kidney infection, but then antibiotics should work. I've had a couple of kidney infections, and they have cleared up after a few days with antibiotics.

Maybe you're diabetic? My dad was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes last year, and he had protein in his urine. That could explain why you need the loo a lot and why you're so tired. Do you need to drink a lot?

4. casper

casper New commenter

This sounds awful,do you have a temperature at all adn are you passing blood in your urine?? It could be a really v bad urine infection as a frfiend of mine has had a similar thig recently. None of us on here are qualified to know what this is. You are obviously desperate to get this sorted out and feel better. If you are still feeling wretched I would ring NHS again. If you are really feeling yuk call the DR's out of hours if necessary. This has got to be sorted out poor you.

If it is out of hours and you feel really grotty get someone to take you to A&E. Are you on yor own? Let us know how you get on.

5. My husband is taking care of me, thank you for your concern. There is no visible blood in my urine but it shows in their cheapy tests they do at the surgery; they said it is not a lot of blood.

is the test for diabetes a different test then the ******** thing they pop in? I'm drinking lots to try and flush my system but I don't have an unquenchable thirst but I will ask them tomorrow.
    I don't like being a medical mystery. :eek:( Surely it's not that difficult?
    Thanks for your kind replies
    xx

6. Sometimes they send it off and then change the anti-biotics when the results come back from the hospital. Is this a possibility?

7. When the tests came back the Doctor said they on'y showed there was a small amount of red cells in it, he then had a guess at pyelitis, I'm on antibiotics that have made no difference, been on them for 5 days now.
    I couldn't believe I had to make such a fuss to get blood tests done. It's all so sstressful when you feel so poorly.

8. Jules - the "cheapy" tests you say the doctors use are not actually that cheap and are fairly good at screeniing for blood, infection and other things.

If there is blood in your urine, there will also be protein in it.

Are you sure the blood in your urine is coming from your urethra/bladder. Is there any chance they could be picking it up in your urine, but that it is coming vaginally?

Another reason for blood in your urine, but no infection could be a kidney stone. This may cause pressure in the urethra, making you feel like you need to pee even when you don't. However it would be excruciatingly painful though. It is easily detected on xray.

Is there any chance of pregnancy - could they be missing something there?

9. Periods have been normal; no love making for over 2 months so it would be the immaculate conception if I were to be pregnant. No blood appearing to be from vagina, all that business seems to be normal.
    Water sampls from any time in my cycle show traces of blood/protein ad have done for years. I had a kidney scan 3 years ago which didn't show anything but then it wasn't pursued and I have never felt this bad.

10. Have you been to A&E? If the pain is really bad I would go there and see what they come up with. Chances are they will do an ultrasound more quickly that way.

You are right to insist you want this investigated.

I had a most upsetting incident with a doctor last week, who thankfully was overruled by her consultant.

11. Hello doglover, how areyou feeling now? It's terrible when the GP just doesn't listen to you.
    The troubel seems to be that I'm not rolling around in agony; they don't want to know until if and when I'm a a much worse stae, I prefer to act before I get that bad. I just know something is wrong.

12. I'm always a bit wary of posting and saying 'oh I had something similar to that' and contributing to attempts to diagnose online.

I can share my experiences and you might see some parallels.

When I started teaching (15 years ago) I was getting bouts of back pain. My doctor at the time put it down to sitting on miniature furniture (Reception kids) and would give me painkillers and tell me to rest. Sometimes the pain would mean I'd be crawling to get to the loo and it always came through into my abdomen. It would pass. This continued on and off for a few years. I moved and registered with a new doctor. She said it was unusual to be experiencing the abdominal pain and I had urine tests. There was blood and protein in it and kidney issues were diagnosed. It seemed to take forever to get a diagnosis. Sometimes the tests would show infection and I'd be given antibiotics and other times I'd just use painkillers. I'd need to go to the loo lots but never experienced any burning when I did. I was scanned for kidney stones but they couldn't see any. I'd often feel washed out and ache all over.

I was told I had been experiencing inflammation of the kidneys which was sometimes (but not always) complicated by an infection.

It was treated with rest, hot water bottle, painkillers and lots and lots of water. Cranberry juice and the like never really helped me.

Hope you feel better soon.

13. It wasn't a serious problem - just a ongoing thing with my ankle, but very upsetting all the same.

Intreated infection in the kidneys can lead to some scarring, so you re right to want to get this sorted - standyour ground and don't be put off;)

14. Thank you for sharing Songbird. i'm determned to get to the bottom of it. The twinges of pain seem to bemostly on the right hand side, right near my pelvis.
    Hope you are OK now Doglover. x

15. i am no expert and although the other symptoms you describe are not that similar to mine, except for the position of the pain, have they mentioned the appendix? it is on the right hand side.

hope they get it sorted soon, i luckily have great GPs but have had to fight with consultant to get appendix taken out. good luck x

16. Hllo Kesunder,
    I am concerned it oculd be my appendix, is there a test they cando to check? WOuld this make me wee more?

17. no specific test no. i am (finally!!) having a camera investigation in a couple of weeks, that is the only way you can tell. it might if it is what is called high retrocecal (sp?), meaning it is twisted and might be pushing on bladder. don't know tho, just trying to suggest something to help. i am in no way an expert. it is very difficult to diagnose, as i have found out!.

18. In case it's any help, try a pelvic organ prolapse - doesn't quite fit all symptoms though.

19. If the appendix was inflammed and pushing ont he bladder then you would feel the need to go to the loo before.
    Also I know that in similar cases this would present itself in the urine as blood, due to the infection...
    At anytime has the pain moved from the left handside or more centrally to the right?
    An ultra sound can be used, but most do an investigation and remove at the same time if it is a query appendicitus...
    There's another link on TES about appendicitus...
    Though I wouldn't go into self-diagonosing, the presenation symptons can be very varied...

20. Thanks folks, I'm childless so a prolapse is unlikely.
    I feel like I need to diagnise myself as the sodding Doctors don't seemed motivated to do much. Felt a bit better this morning and was contemplating school tomorrow; I was deluded, back in bed with the frequent visits to the loo and check in here. Off to fill ho****er bottle up. Hope blood results come back soon. :eek:(