1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please Help! Setting up as Tutor

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by CarolineKent, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Hi Em,
    You can 'go it alone' by all means but do shop around the agencies too. Not all of them charge tutors for referring jobs to them. Home-School Tutoring (www.homeschooltutoring.co.uk)for example, charge commission to clients not tutors so it is free to join with them. They do all the advertising for you and have a well establish website. See if there is one for your area. If you are going to tutor from home, just let your home insurer know to check your contents are still covered. If you are going to go to tutees homes then you might want public indemnity insurance but shop around for the best deal. You'll need a CRB check, possibly copies of your qualifications and clients may like to take references. That's often why clients go through an agency because the agency does all that for them. To get up to speed with the curriculum, why not see if you can do a little volunteering in your local primary school? Couple that with internet research into the curriculum and I'm sure you'll get up to speed. There are load of great resources online which are free for teachers and tutors to use.

Recommendation by previous clients is great but is can be a slow way to build up.

All the best,

2. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Would def advise some observation in schools as so much changes so quickly in teaching,

3. My situation is somewhat unique. I want to offer online tution only for pupils with general literacy difficulties aim specifically at Key Stage 2 but I will accept pupils aged 8 to 14. I am offering a four week 'taster' course for £40 followed by a full academic year course for £460 which parents would pay only if they were completely satisfied with their child's progress after the 'taster' course. The advantage of my course is that it is (1) inexpensive (2) available all over the country (3) payable only if the child responds well to the course.
    Anyone wish to see my offer in more detail should click here. I would appreciate any comment or advice on getting started.

Eddie Carron