1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please help-science

Discussion in 'Primary' started by goats, Apr 19, 2007.

1. I'm due to do an inset on Science - thinking of doing it on attainment target 1 with a view to delivering open and investigative questioning and how to assess.

does anyone have any bright ideas or have you been to a good inset lately based on science?

Even if its not that specific, anything would be much appreciated!!!!! Need help!!!

2. I'm due to do an inset on Science - thinking of doing it on attainment target 1 with a view to delivering open and investigative questioning and how to assess.

does anyone have any bright ideas or have you been to a good inset lately based on science?

Even if its not that specific, anything would be much appreciated!!!!! Need help!!!

3. Could you do some sort of questionnaire before your Inset - it could be anonymous if necessary - whereby all staff perhaps TAs also have a chance to voice their - concerns/worries regarding AT1, their strengths, courses they have been on, what they would like to be able to do etc...

We have done this recently for another subject at our school and it greatly helped the subject leader to know what the teachers/TAs had expertise in and what they felt they needed help with.
    If you have staff new to the school this year they might have had science training at their last school or have been on a good course.

As a rough guide to the day - make it useful - the best insets are where you go away with lots of new ideas to try, good websites to use etc...
    - make it fun - some hands on activities

If you also want to focus on AT1 - you might want the staff to let you see a small sample of books from their class (again before the Inset)- this way you know how they approach AT1 at the moment and you could do some agreement trialling as a staff with some photocopies of some of the samples.

You could as another thought make up a pupils questionnaire - what do they think of science at your school - what do they enjoy doing - you may be surprised by the results.

Just a few ideas - hope these give you a start - I am sure you will get lost more advice when more people are on here after school!

4. I have a couple of powerpoints (not all my own, some down loaded) if you'd like to have a look post your e mail and i'll send them to you.

5. Thanks both of you!

I'll get onto the questionaire for both staff and children, a great idea.

My email is joanna_collins@hotmail.co.uk would love a copy of those powerpoints, ta.