1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please help - query about many jobs advertised today by a school in China

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by ruthwill500, Mar 7, 2018.

1. snitzelvonkrumm

snitzelvonkrumm Occasional commenter

Is it reasonable to cast blame on the UK school because the Chiese government pension is still outstanding? The promises were made that it would be, clearly under the instruction from Boy Wonder who has exceptional knowledge of Chinese law.
    Has anyone else from other bilingual "International Schools" ever had any reimbursements from the government pension?

ruthwill500 and rideemcowboy like this.
  2. ruthwill500

ruthwill500 New commenter

Tianjinjustice and englishdragon - any news on the legal cases with the 6 letter school? Any news on the levels of respect now given to new staff or the awakening of their UK connection school south of London?

3. ruthwill500

I see the school of horrors is advertising again on TES. Take care.

snitzelvonkrumm likes this.
  4. february31st

february31st Established commenter

I would avoid any school in China with the work “Bilingual” in the title.

5. englishdragon

englishdragon Occasional commenter

't would appear that the infamous Hopeless International Kingdom Sad Values School six letter school continues to advertise. But, the advertisement is rather grand.......

If you work for the Hopelessly Incompetent Karl's Sad Values School you will have the opportunity to live in a beautiful city, work in a school located near the most wonderful lake and parkland, develop your professional practice through this blend of educational traditions, and most importantly, you will be able to play a key role in creating and developing a leading educational project in China. You will be a part of the first stand-alone Preparatory or Primary School partnership by a Chinese school with a leading English public school.

Is that not an extraordinary claim......the first stand-alone Preparatory or Primary School partnership by a Chinese School (?Kindergarten?) with an leading (really, truly? truly really?) English public school in China? In all of China, across all the decades? Wow, such greatness moves me to genuflect, genuflect, genufect. Does that pass the sniff test or is it as highly scented as it seems? Is this for real...a leading educational project in China?

Time to repeat the warning. There be dragons out there. And that beautiful city continues to be shrouded in dense smog for many days of every year. Read the reviews. As the Febster states, never apply for a school in China that is Bilingual, or has controlling private Chinese owners.

6. jazzy78

jazzy78 New commenter

Why are they feeling for their lives? specifics without naming names?

7. february31st

Many reasons why western and Chinese teachers are jumping ship.

No matter what is said the BIG boss in the school is a Chinese Businessman and if you are unlucky a Businesswoman!

Staff been told in April after signing contracts that there will be no holiday in December.

Staff told the school day will start at 8am and not 9.

Contracts not worth the paper written on as salary and other financial payments can be changed in the year.

Confusion over the legal requirements to teach the Chinese curriculum. Many schools have the world internationally in the title as they will teach IGCSE/A LEVEL or IB to students who reach the age of 15 and above.

8. rideemcowboy

rideemcowboy Occasional commenter

Many schools have international in their title even if they do not teach IGs A levels or IB, and have 100% Chinese students.

9. snitzelvonkrumm

Word is that the 6 Letter School has introduced a strict policy that means teachers salary will be reduced if arriving late or leaving early from school. The Head's letter acknowledged that most teachers work well beyond the hours expected but this could not be considered. So nothing has changed?

10. rideemcowboy

rideemcowboy Occasional commenter

Add to that the expectation for Saturday cleaning duties. I heard that from a reliable source, but surely this could not be possible?

ruthwill500 and englishdragon like this.
  11. englishdragon

"Injustice is timeless. It haunts us and affects our state of mind until the day justice is served. At the same time, the tolerance of injustice and distorted information is an act of encouragement and complicity. Such tolerance allows authoritarian regimes to transgress any red lines."
    ............https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jun/04/china-tiananmen-square-beijing

Reading these lines reminded me of a conversation with @tianjinjustice a few weeks ago. @tianjinjustice asked me to post that the Hopeless International Kingdom Sad Values School foundation science teacher has been successsful with his follow up lawsuit against the school. He was able to win two lawsuits against the school, and has been fully paid.

The tolerance of injustice and distorted information by the rent-their-name UK Sad Values School is unacceptable. Their tolerance simply allows the empress dowager and her hopeless Kid's authoritarian regime to continue transgressing any red lines of normal decency in contemporary HR practice.

This also suggests that it is possible to win justice for expat teachers in the Chinese labor courts:
    https://community.tes.com/threads/c...uide-know-your-rights-and-defend-them.776960/

ruthwill500 and rideemcowboy like this.
  12. ruthwill500

Congratulations to the Science teacher on winning the lawsuit through the Chinese legal system. I would be interested to find out if there have been any other international teachers to have won court cases in China?

rideemcowboy likes this.
  13. Kulmatie34

Kulmatie34 New commenter

Wow! What an interesting, eye opening forum.

I have applied and signed a contract with a school in a Chinese city not mentioned here (advertised on TES jobs) to start shortly.

My work permit application has just been rejected, school HR told me. Now after ordering a special document no one ever thought I needed earlier, I wait with baited breath to hear if the permit will be approved this time. Yes it cost an arm & a leg to go through the whole process....Documents needed to be cleared by the Chinese Embassy in 3 countries, as I am a UK immigrant in another EU country, working this year as a temporary expat in a non EU country....mountains of paperwork for sure. School contract promises reimbursement of money spent for visa application etc.

I have worked internationally for a while & been an ISR member in the past, but this is my first time in China..... We shall see...
    Thanks for such an interesting discussion.

14. krakowiak6

krakowiak6 Occasional commenter

Is this the school who want you to pay your own flight to China and 3 months rent in advance and they will reimburse you? Never pay upfront for these costs. A reputable school will always help you.

15. february31st

Many schools in China work on the theme of new teachers paying for documentations attesting, flights and visas to be reimburse later if you keep the receipt.

Paying the 2 month deposit and 1 month in advance is sometimes advanced by the school to be repaid monthly.

16. krakowiak6

krakowiak6 Occasional commenter

With the increasing amount of schools "reimbursing" flights including in the UAE, perhaps travel insurance for teachers should include being shown the door within the first 3 months of starting work. There is usually a clause in contracts which states that if a teacher doesn't complete their contract (or I presume gets fired within the probationary period) that the school won't pay for the teacher's return flight.

17. englishdragon

How did everything work out for you in the end?

18. Kulmatie34

Kulmatie34 New commenter

Yep, you guessed it - China wouldnt grant me a work permit, so my school had to let me go. This was end of August for September start! (Dont ask!)

So since then, applied, had some interest, but got nothing (I have 2 kids with me too). Suddenly 2 weeks ago, applied to a really suitable school in another Asian country, within 48 hrs had interview, got job, contract, visa papers, documents sorted & am off to start Jan 2020, to a school with a far better, family-expat package than what I was offered in China. Kids happy too!!! Shame I have just spent 4 months unemployed, but used the time well, online & practically here! Hasnt been easy though. Thanks for asking

19. snitzelvonkrumm

You have probably dodged a bullet.

20. february31st

If you are considering working in one of the many new Chinese Bilingual Schools you need to pay for a subscription to the ISR. Simply read the recent posts on all the Bilingual schools in China and reflect on if you wish to work in such establishments.

All the posts basically tell the same story and no one of average intelligence would want to work in any of these schools unless they have an iPGCE.

I am not saying all the Bilingual schools in China are a complete and utter shambles but its going to be a high probability.

You need to ask some serious questions at any job interview.